Google Translate Disclaimer

A number of pages on the Government of Saskatchewan`s web site have been professionally translated in French. These translations are identified by a yellow text box that resembles the link below and can be found in the right hand rail of the page. The home page for French-language content on this site can be found here:

Renseignements en Français

Where an official translation is not available, Google™ Translate can be used. Google™ Translate is a free online language translation service that can translate text and web pages into different languages. Translations are made available to increase access to Government of Saskatchewan content for populations whose first language is not English.

The results of software-based translation do not approach the fluency of a native speaker or possess the skill of a professional translator. The translation should not be considered exact, and may include incorrect or offensive language Government of Saskatchewan does not warrant the accuracy, reliability or timeliness of any information translated by this system. Some files or items cannot be translated, including graphs, photos, and other file formats such as portable document formats (PDFs).

Any person or entities that rely on information obtained from the system does so at his or her own risk. Government of Saskatchewan is not responsible for any damage or issues that may possibly result from using translated website content. If you have any questions about Google™ Translate, please visit: Google™ Translate FAQs.

Career Colleges

Career Colleges, also known as private vocational schools, offer over 160 vocational training programs in Saskatchewan to prepare students for employment in a specific occupation such as business, health services, fashion, esthetics, hairstyling, and more. These school are privately owned and operated but must be registered with the Ministry of Advanced Education and have approval of the programs they offer. 


1. List of Registered Private Vocational Schools

There are two types of private vocational schools in Saskatchewan, Category I schools and Category II schools.

Category I schools can collect fees directly from students as well as third parties such as Labour Market Services, Workers’ Compensation or a publicly funded training program.

Category II schools can collect fees only from a third party agency.

Category I Schools

Category I Schools Phone Location
Academy of Fashion Design
Academy of Learning Career College
North Battleford
Academy of Learning Career College
Academy of Learning Career College, Wascana Campus 306-373-8700 Regina
Apex Academy of Professional Grooming and Animal Arts
Avant-Garde College
Axiom Career College Inc.
306-952-0510 Saskatoon
Canadian Revival Training Centre Inc.
Prince Albert 
Elite Hairstyling & Esthetics Training Center
Moose Jaw
The Globe Theatre Conservatory
MC College
McKay Career Training Inc.
Medavie HealthEd 902-407-3272 Saskatoon
Practicum Training Institute Inc.
Professional Institute of Massage Therapy Ltd.
The Recording Arts Institute of Saskatoon
Saskatoon Business College Ltd.
Saskatoon School of Horticulture Inc.
Saskatoon Spa Academy Ltd.
The Style Academy Inc.
306-522-2077 Regina
Timeless Instruments
Western Academy Broadcasting College Ltd.
Western College of Remedial Massage Therapies Inc.

Category II Schools

Category II Schools Phone Location
Academy of Professional First Nation Mechanics 306-261-1023 Saskatoon
Ignite Adult Learning Corporation
INtouch Career College
Keewatin Career Development Corporation
La Ronge
Mechanical Contractors Association of Saskatchewan Inc.
Moose Jaw Multicultural Council Inc.
Moose Jaw 
Nuna Training Technologies Ltd.
Prince Albert 
PBN Labour and Trade Services Ltd.
306-884-2209 Pinehouse Lake
Prairie Arctic Trades Training Centre Ltd.
Royal Canadian Mounted Police Training Academy
Western Trade Training Institute
Wolf Safety Training Ltd.
Prince Albert

Some schools and programs are not required to register under The Private Vocational Schools Regulation Act, 1995. Exceptions under this Act include:

  1. Distance education or correspondence schools or programs are not required to register as only schools that operate on site within Saskatchewan are covered by the Act.
  2. Schools and programs that prepare people for occupations that are regulated under separate legislation or by certain professional bodies may not be required to register. Some of these occupations are:
    • Midwives;
    • Practitioners of natural healing;
    • Pilots;
    • Truck drivers; and
    • Personal services providers.
  3. Additional schools that are not required to register include those that offer programs on:
    • Secondary school subjects or preparatory subjects that may serve as pre-requisites for other formal training programs;
    • Personal or professional development programs; and/or
    • Recreational programs.

2. Enrolment and Signing an Enrolment Contract

The Enrolment Contract

Once you have identified a school that interests you, you should make arrangements to visit and gather more information. Schools are required to post their Certificate of Registration with a list of their registered and approved programs in a prominent location. Ask to see the certificate and list of programs. 

Do not enrol or sign any documents with a school that is not registered unless that school does not have to register (see exceptions in section above).

If you are uncertain about whether or not the school you are considering is properly registered, contact the Ministry of Advanced Education to ask for assistance.  

Student Enrolment Contract Requirements

After you have selected a private vocational school, have applied for admission, and have been accepted, you will be asked to sign a student enrolment contract. The contract should contain the following items: 

  1. The name and address of the school, and the name of the program.
  2. The start and end dates of the program. 
  3. A reference to the tuition refund regulations (see below).
  4. The date the contract is entered into.
  5. The name, mailing address and signature of the student or guardian.
  6. The signature of a school official.
  7. The total program and material costs.
  8. The payment schedule if paying by instalments.
  9. A copy of the program curriculum including a list of courses in the program of study and the duration of each course.
  10. If the student is under 18, the signature of the person who will be responsible for tuition payments must be included. 

Once you have signed the contract, the school must give you a fully executed, signed contract (not a copy) and maintain a copy for their records. Keep your copy in a safe place.  The contract is a legally binding agreement between you and the school.

You are entitled to cancel your contract with the school within 10 days of entering into the student contract if you have not yet attended any program or course. In this case you will receive a full refund of any tuition fees you have paid. You will also be refunded any money you have paid for books, equipment, etc. that you have not yet received. Once you commence your program course you may still cancel your contract bu the refund policy changes. See Tuition and Tuition Refund Policies below.


3. Tuition and Refund Policies

It is your responsibility to ensure that you understand the full costs and the fee structure for the program in which you register. Fees may include a registration fee, tuition, tutorial services, charges for courses that must be repeated, and charges for books, equipment, field trips, uniforms, laboratory kits, or other special expenses.

A non-refundable registration fee may be charged by a school operator. The registration fee must not exceed the amount in the table the follows (based on a three-year phase in) or 10%of the total tuition for the program, whichever is the lower amount

Registration Year Beginning Amount
July 1, 2015 $125.00
July 1, 2016 $175.00
July 1, 2017 and all subsequent registration years $250.00

If you decide to cancel your contract and provide notice of your intention to cancel prior to the start of your program or course, the school must refund all tuition fees you have paid and the costs of any books or materials you have paid for but not yet received. 

Tuition Refund Policies

All registered private vocational schools are required to have a tuition refund policy. If you decide to withdraw from your program after it has begun, you should immediately give the school written notice of your intention to withdraw.

Once you have given notice of your intention to withdraw, the school must refund a proportion of the tuition you have paid according to these guidelines: 

Per Cent of Hours Delivered  Per Cent of Tuition Refundable
20% or less  75%
20% - 50% 40%
More than 50% 0

The school must refund the total cost of any books or supplies that you paid for but did not receive prior to withdrawing or being discontinued.

If you have a student loan, refunds are applied directly to your student loan account.

Important Note About Absence

If you are absent from a course or program for 21 consecutive calendar days you are deemed to have discontinued the course or program. The operator of the school will provide written notice to inform you of the refund you may be owed based on the guidelines above. However, during the time of your absence, you are still considered to be enrolled in the program and the amount of refund you receive may be significantly reduced, even to zero.


4. Certificates Diplomas and Transcripts

Upon successful completion of a program or course, and after all fees owing to the schools have been paid, you are entitled to immediately receive a certificate or diploma that signifies your successful completion of the course or program. The certificate or diploma must be approved by the Ministry of Advanced Education. 

You are also entitled to receive a copy of your transcript of marks showing your successful completion of the course or program.

To request a copy of your transcript or certificate, please contact the school directly. If the school has closed down, please contact:

Universities and Private Vocational Schools Branch
Ministry of Advanced Education
(306) 787-5763


5. Addressing a Problem or Concern

All private vocational schools are required to have an established procedure for resolving disputes. This procedure must specify how you should raise a concern, which school official you should give it to, and how your concern will be dealt with once you have raised it.

If you have a complaint, try to resolve it with the school by following the established procedures. If you are unable to reach a satisfactory resolution, you can contact the Ministry of Advanced Education’s Universities and Private Vocational Schools Branch.

The Ministry will ask you to submit, in writing, the important details of your complaint with the school by using the Student Complaint Form. The Ministry will review the submitted Student Complaint Form, and if it is determined that your complaint demonstrates that the school may have been non-compliant with legislative requirements, ministry staff will work with the school to ensure it is in compliance.

We need your feedback to improve Help us improve