Renseignements en français

Google Translate Disclaimer

A number of pages on the Government of Saskatchewan`s web site have been professionally translated in French. These translations are identified by a yellow text box that resembles the link below and can be found in the right hand rail of the page. The home page for French-language content on this site can be found here:

Renseignements en Français

Where an official translation is not available, Google™ Translate can be used. Google™ Translate is a free online language translation service that can translate text and web pages into different languages. Translations are made available to increase access to Government of Saskatchewan content for populations whose first language is not English.

The results of software-based translation do not approach the fluency of a native speaker or possess the skill of a professional translator. The translation should not be considered exact, and may include incorrect or offensive language Government of Saskatchewan does not warrant the accuracy, reliability or timeliness of any information translated by this system. Some files or items cannot be translated, including graphs, photos, and other file formats such as portable document formats (PDFs).

Any person or entities that rely on information obtained from the system does so at his or her own risk. Government of Saskatchewan is not responsible for any damage or issues that may possibly result from using translated website content. If you have any questions about Google™ Translate, please visit: Google™ Translate FAQs.

Graduate Retention Program Application

Eligible students may receive a tax credit of up to $20,000 on their income tax.

When you graduate from most Saskatchewan post-secondary institutions, you don’t have to apply for the Graduate Retention Program. Your application is handled automatically on your behalf.

If you are a resident but attended a post-secondary institution elsewhere, you may be eligible and should apply.


1. Benefits

The Graduate Retention Program rewards graduates living in Saskatchewan by providing rebate up to $20,000. To be eligible, you have to live and file an income tax return in Saskatchewan.

Tuition Rebate Amount

Your rebate will be based on the tuition you paid. It is indicated on T2202A tax receipts issued by your post-secondary institution. Your maximum tuition rebate is based on your program.

Program  Tuition Rebate Maximum
1 year Certificate, Diploma, or Journeyperson $3,000 
2 or 3 year Certificate or Diploma $6,400
3 year Undergraduate Degree  $15,000 
4 year Undergraduate Degree  $20,000 

Rebate Payment

As an eligible graduate, you're issued a Graduate Retention Program Certificate by the Ministry of Advanced Education.  You submit this when filing your Saskatchewan income tax.

The GRP rebate is paid out over seven years, provided you file your taxes in Saskatchewan. Your rebate is applied to reduce the amount of Saskatchewan income tax you owe.

In each of the first four tax years, you receive 10 per cent of your maximum rebate. In each of the final three tax years, you receive 20 per cent of your maximum rebate.

If your rebate is more than what you owe, the unused benefit can be applied in a future tax year. You have up to 10 years after graduation to apply unused credits.

2015 Change

In 2015, the GRP was amended to a non-refundable tax credit. When you file tax returns for 2015 and beyond, you receive your rebate as a reduction in provincial income tax. If your rebate is greater than the tax payable, the excess can be applied in a future tax year. As part of the shift to a non-refundable tax credit, you now have up to 10 years to fully use your entitlement.

2014 and previous tax years are not affected. If you are having your income tax assessed for years prior to 2015, you will continue to be eligible for a cash refund for your 2008 to 2014 income tax years.


2. Eligibility

You're eligible if you:

  • Graduated from an approved post-secondary program and applied within seven years of graduation;
    • Graduates from 2011 and earlier are no longer eligible to apply for the Graduate Retention Program.
    • If you graduated in 2012, you have until April 30, 2019, to apply.
  • Already live in Saskatchewan; or
  • Are moving to Saskatchewan.

An approved program must:

  • Be equivalent to at least six months of full-time study at an eligible institution;
  • Result in certificate, diploma, or undergraduate degree; or
  • Provide journeyperson certification.

* Master and PhD degrees are not eligible for the GRP. Your undergraduate program may qualify for the GRP if it meets the above requirements.

Visit Government of Canada's website for a list of designated educational institutions.


3. How to Apply

Most Saskatchewan post-secondary institutions apply for GRP on your behalf. After graduation, you will receive an e-mail inviting you to visit the Government of Saskatchewan Advanced Education Portal in order to download your GRP certificate. To retrieve the certificate, you will visit the portal, logon with your password (or alternately, create an account in order to obtain a password), and then it may be downloaded. The certificate is needed in order to claim your income tax benefit.

If your post-secondary school doesn't apply on your behalf, you must submit an application, along with a copy of your certificate, diploma, or degree.

There are three categories of post-secondary institutions that qualify for the GRP certificate. Each application process is different.

Saskatchewan post-secondary institutions

If you graduated from a post-secondary institution in Saskatchewan, your school may apply for the GRP certificate on your behalf. You must give your consent before your post-secondary institution applies on your behalf.

The following institutions apply on behalf of graduates:

  • Academy of Learning - North Battleford
  • Academy of Learning - Saskatoon
  • Avant Garde
  • Briercrest College and Seminary
  • Eston College
  • Horizon College and Seminary
  • McKay Career Training Inc.
  • Millar College of the Bible
  • Professional Institute of Massage Therapy
  • Saskatchewan Indian Institute of Technologies (SIIT)
  • Saskatchewan Polytechnic
  • Saskatoon Business College
  • Spa Academy
  • Style Academy
  • University of Regina
  • University of Saskatchewan
  • Western College of Remedial Massage

If you studied at an institution that doesn't apply on your behalf, you must apply directly to the Ministry of Advanced Education.

Post-secondary institutions outside of Saskatchewan

If you studied at a post-secondary institution outside Saskatchewan, you must apply directly to the Ministry of Advanced Education.

International post-secondary institutions

If you studied at a post-secondary institution outside Canada, you must apply directly to the Ministry of Advanced Education.

A copy of your certificate, diploma or degree, or a copy of your Canadian educational credential assessment confirming the program of study is required with your completed application.

Please visit The Canadian Information Centre for International Credentials for information on how to obtain an assessment.


4. Apply

Most Saskatchewan post-secondary institutions apply for the GRP on your behalf. Check with your post-secondary school before submitting an application. If your school doesn't apply on your behalf, you must submit an application, along with a copy of your certificate, diploma, or degree.

Download an application

Please forward the application, with a copy of your certificate, diploma, degree, or credential assessment to:

Student Service Centre
1120 - 2010 12th Avenue
Regina, Saskatchewan S4P 0M3

Fax: 306-787-1608

You must complete the Consent to Release Information Form to authorize any individual to call the Student Service Centre on your behalf about your GRP.

Please allow two to four weeks for processing.


5. Retrieve Your GRP Certificate

In order to claim your tax credit, you will need to download a Graduate Retention Program (GRP) certificate. When you apply for GRP, or when your post-secondary institution applies on your behalf, following graduation you will receive an e-mail with instructions about how to download your GRP certificate.

Important: We will be performing system maintenance to online services starting at 5:00 p.m. Friday, June 7. Access to apply for student loans or Provincial Training Allowance will likely be unavailable that night, and for much of Saturday, June 8. We apologize for any inconvenience this may cause.

To access your GRP information online, visit the Advanced Education Portal. You will need to sign on with your existing username and password. If you do not already have a new username, you must create a new username and password.


6. Further Information

If you have questions about filing your income tax return, contact Canada Revenue Agency at 1-800-959-8281 or visit CRA online.

Find more information about how to claim your Graduate Retention Program rebate when filing your income tax return.

We need your feedback to improve Help us improve