Learn more about COVID-19 in Saskatchewan. Case numbers are updated daily. 

Effective December 17, all private dwelling indoor gatherings are limited to immediate households only.  Review all public health measures 

Google Translate Disclaimer

A number of pages on the Government of Saskatchewan's website have been professionally translated in French. These translations are identified by a yellow box in the right or left rail that resembles the link below. The home page for French-language content on this site can be found at:

Renseignements en Français

Where an official translation is not available, Google™ Translate can be used. Google™ Translate is a free online language translation service that can translate text and web pages into different languages. Translations are made available to increase access to Government of Saskatchewan content for populations whose first language is not English.

Software-based translations do not approach the fluency of a native speaker or possess the skill of a professional translator. The translation should not be considered exact, and may include incorrect or offensive language. The Government of Saskatchewan does not warrant the accuracy, reliability or timeliness of any information translated by this system. Some files or items cannot be translated, including graphs, photos and other file formats such as portable document formats (PDFs).

Any person or entities that rely on information obtained from the system does so at his or her own risk. Government of Saskatchewan is not responsible for any damage or issues that may possibly result from using translated website content. If you have any questions about Google™ Translate, please visit: Google™ Translate FAQs.

Custody and Access to Children

General information regarding custody and access can be obtained from Family Law Saskatchewan. Resources for developing parenting plans can be found on the Government of Canada's website.

The information below describes the specialized services available for high conflict situations: custody and access assessments, supervised access and supervised exchanges.

Custody and Access Assessments

A judge may order an assessment to help decide the best parenting arrangements for children whose parents cannot agree on custody and access. The assessment is conducted by a qualified social worker who does not work for either parent and is only concerned with the best interests of the child(ren).

The social worker may:

  • consider the family, marital and parenting background;
  • speak to the parents about their views on their children's needs and the parenting arrangements;
  • observe the children with each parent;
  • interview teachers, doctors, new partners, friends and relatives;
  • speak to the child, depending on the child's age; and
  • look into other matters.

The social worker will prepare a report of their findings and recommendations. A copy will be provided to the parents and their lawyers and filed with the court. Once both parties have reviewed the report it is hoped they may reach a negotiated settlement on custody and access arrangements. If not, they may go back to the judge who made the assessment order and the judge will try to help them reach an agreement.

If the parents still cannot reach an agreement, a trial may occur. The assessment may be used and the social worker may be called as a witness.

Supervised Access/Exchange

Generally, the court considers that a child has a right to see and have a relationship with both parents. A court may order supervised access if:

  • the child and parent have had no contact for a long time and may need help re-establishing their relationship;
  • the parent seeking access has limited parenting skills;
  • the parent has a history of abusing drugs or alcohol;
  • the parent has a history of mentally, physically or sexually abusing the child; or
  • there is a risk of the child being abducted by the parent.

The Supervised Access/Exchange Program is a service facilitated by social workers and trained observers. They provide the services necessary to ensure that children have access to their non-custodial parent in a safe setting.

Exchanges of the child may be supervised so the child does not have to see any conflict or violence between their parents. By using the supervised access/exchange service, the child's anxiety is reduced. The exact service provided depends on the court order and the family's needs.

Supervised visits may occur at one of the access centres located in Regina or Saskatoon. Parents can only use the supervised access service if the court orders them to use the service. Program workers monitor the situation according to the terms of the order.

Parents can access supervised exchange services by agreement or by a court order.

We need your feedback to improve saskatchewan.ca. Help us improve