Beginning on February 15, more than 300 Saskatchewan athletes, coaches, managers, technicians, and mission staff will be participating in the 2019 Canada Winter Games in Red Deer, Alberta. The 2019 Canada Winter Games is the largest event hosted in central Alberta and will be the home base to approximately 3,600 participants from across the country. These games are building blocks for Saskatchewan athletes to compete in future national, international, and Olympic events. Nothing exemplifies this more than Olympic medallists and Team Sask alumni Mark McMorris, Catriona Le May Doan, and Emily Clark.
Team Sask will compete among Canada’s best amateur athletes in 19 sports. Those sports include: Alpine / Para Alpine, Archery, Artistic Gymnastics, Artistic Swimming (formerly synchronized swimming), Badminton, Biathlon, Boxing, Cross Country / Para Nordic, Curling, Figure Skating, Freestyle Skiing, Men’s Hockey, Women’s Hockey, Judo, Ringette, Snowboard, Speed Skating, Squash, Table Tennis, Trampoline, and Wheelchair Basketball.
Not only does Saskatchewan have a great showing in these sports, but the team also represents 58 Saskatchewan communities ranging from Archerwill to Zehner.
Team Sask will be led by Chef de Mission Mark Bracken and the Saskatchewan Games Council. “Every one of our teams has put in a tremendous amount of preparation to get ready for their moment on the national stage,” Bracken said. “What makes the Canada Games such an incredible experience is that you’re no longer solely representing your sport; you’ll be a part of one team, made up of athletes representing many different sports, coming from all over the province. One team: Team Sask.”
All the best to the athletes competing and to all the supportive staff and parents. The 2019 Canada Winter Games tagline is “this is our moment”, showing this is OUR moment to celebrate you and YOUR moment to shine!
Saskatchewan won 17 medals at the 2019 Canada Winter Games:
- Biathlon, 12.5 km Individual
- Archery, Recurve Individual
- Trampoline, Synchro Female
- Artistic Gymnastics, Individual - Floor
- Figure Skating, Pairs Novice Mix
- Artistic Gymnastics, Individual - Uneven Bars
- Cross Country, Men's 2.5km Para Nordic Standing Ski
- Cross Country, Women's 2.5km Para Nordic Sitting Ski
- Cross Country, Women's Sprint Para Nordic Sitting Ski
- Judo, Men's Individual -55kg
- Judo, Men's Individual -60kg
- Figure Skating, Pairs Pre-Novice Mix
- Cross Country, Women's 5km Para Nordic Sitting Ski
- Judo, Women's Individual +70kg
- Archery, Compound Individual
- Archery, Compound Team Mix
Congratulations to Team Sask for a successful 2019 Canada Winter Games. Saskatchewan is proud of your achievements.
For more information on the final standings and medal counts, visit Team Sask at the 2019 Canada Winter Games or follow Team Sask on Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram.