Effective Friday, September 17, a province-wide mandatory masking order will be implemented for all indoor public spaces. 

Google Translate Disclaimer

A number of pages on the Government of Saskatchewan's website have been professionally translated in French. These translations are identified by a yellow box in the right or left rail that resembles the link below. The home page for French-language content on this site can be found at:

Renseignements en Français

Where an official translation is not available, Google™ Translate can be used. Google™ Translate is a free online language translation service that can translate text and web pages into different languages. Translations are made available to increase access to Government of Saskatchewan content for populations whose first language is not English.

Software-based translations do not approach the fluency of a native speaker or possess the skill of a professional translator. The translation should not be considered exact, and may include incorrect or offensive language. The Government of Saskatchewan does not warrant the accuracy, reliability or timeliness of any information translated by this system. Some files or items cannot be translated, including graphs, photos and other file formats such as portable document formats (PDFs).

Any person or entities that rely on information obtained from the system does so at his or her own risk. Government of Saskatchewan is not responsible for any damage or issues that may possibly result from using translated website content. If you have any questions about Google™ Translate, please visit: Google™ Translate FAQs.

2021 July

Municipalities Today is a web-based newsletter published monthly by the Ministry of Government Relations. It lists deadlines, training opportunities, services and programs that may be of interest to Saskatchewan municipal administrators.

View past editions of Municipalities Today by visiting Publications Saskatchewan.


1. Municipal Administrators' Corner

Key tasks in July

  • For key monthly tasks and legislative responsibilities and deadlines, please refer to the Administration Calendar.

Online resources

Many resources about municipal topics can be found on www.saskatchewan.ca.

  • Municipal Administration
    Pages found under here house detailed information regarding different topics important to municipalities.

  • Publications Saskatchewan
    Some administrators or information seekers might not have heard that Publications Saskatchewan is another place to go for resources and documents.

    Publications Saskatchewan is the repository for all the resources that are linked on the provincial website. Downloadable copies of all documents and resources published by the Ministry of Government Relations can be found under its name on the site.

Specific documents created by the Advisory Services and Municipal Relations branch are housed under the category ASMR. It is important to recognize that some documents are for specific municipality types, such as northern municipalities, as some of the legislation is different.


Resolutions are a formal expression of council's decisions. Resolutions usually deal with routine or administrative matters, such as approving monthly financial statements, accounts for payment, or buying or selling real estate.

Councils make decisions by passing resolutions approved by a majority vote of council members at a meeting that is open to the public. If there is a tie vote, the vote on the resolution is defeated. A recorded vote must be requested prior to the vote being taken.

Resolutions should be recorded and numbered in consequential order for future reference. For clarity purposes, it is important to include the 'what, when, why and where' of the matter and caution should be used when including personal information.


Legislation tells council when a bylaw is required. Generally, council passes bylaws for matters that have a long-term or broad impact on the public such as making laws for your municipality (e.g. zoning, animal control, etc.) or setting property tax tools.

Bylaws are required to have three readings in order to become law of the municipality. Each reading requires a resolution which is passed by council. Council may expedite passage of a bylaw by giving all three readings at the same meeting. In this case, an additional resolution is required. A resolution to give a bylaw three readings in a single meeting must be passed unanimously by all members of council present at the meeting. In the event that the resolution to proceed is not unanimously passed, then the third reading must be deferred to a subsequent meeting. It is not necessary to redo the first and second readings when the third reading is held during a subsequent meeting.


2. Looking for Local Improvements

Government Relations would like to hear from you if you have used The Local Improvements Act, 1993 to fund municipal capital works at any time in the last 10 or so years.

The Act allows for special levies on specific properties in a municipality benefiting from a proposed work. They are used to fix, upgrade or maintain a wide range of infrastructure works or services from sidewalks to back alleys.

If your municipality has used the Act or is planning to undertake a local improvement under the Act, please send your contact information to regs@gov.sk.ca. The ministry is exploring whether to amend this Act in the future and would like to hear from municipalities who have experience with it.


3. Summer Deadlines for Municipal Financial Reporting

The following financial documents must be submitted to the Ministry of Government Relations.

Reminder about financial statements

The deadline for municipalities to submit a copy of their 2020 financial statement, with the audit report and management letter, to the Ministry was July 1, 2021. (NOTE: Cities have until September 1, 2021, to send a copy of their 2020 financial statement, with the audit report and management letter.)

Municipalities that have not already submitted their financial statement should submit them as soon as possible. Failure to do so may affect eligibility to access funding under programs such as the Municipal Revenue Sharing program and federal Gas Tax program.

Municipalities may also pass an extension of time bylaw to extend the submission date by up to 90 days. However, this bylaw must be passed by July 31, 2021, and a copy sent to financialstatements@gov.sk.ca.

Mill rate returns

The 2021 mill rate return template was recently emailed to all municipalities and is also available for download from Mill Rate Returns page on the Government of Saskatchewan website. To comply with the new legislative amendments, municipalities must submit the mill rate return by August 15, 2021 on the template provided. Should you have any questions, please email millrate@gov.sk.ca.

Waterworks financial overviews

Municipalities are required to submit a 2020 waterworks financial overview to the Ministry by the deadline of September 1, 2021. Please submit this information using the questionnaire link provided to you by email. Should you have any questions, please email waterworks@gov.sk.ca.

Please call the Financial Management Unit in the Municipal Infrastructure and Finance Branch if you require further information on these reporting requirements: 306-787-8859 or 306-787-2655.

MEEP 2020 Interim Reporting due July 15, 2021

On June 8, 2021, the Municipal Economic Enhancement Program (MEEP) 2020 Interim Report and guidelines were emailed to all municipalities participating in the program. Interim Reports are to be returned by email to mifprovgrants@gov.sk.ca by July 15, 2021.

As a reminder, municipalities will be required to expend their funding on approved projects and provide a final report by March 31, 2022. Information on the final report will be provided at a later date.

If priorities in your municipality have changed and you wish to allocate your funding to a different project, complete the Schedule B Project Plan Amendment form, sign and return to our office for review and approval. The Project Plan Amendment form is available on our website at www.saskatchewan.ca/municipal-economic-enhancement.

If you have any questions regarding the completion of the interim report or other program requirements, please contact Municipal Infrastructure and Finance at 306-787-1262 or email at mifprovgrants@gov.sk.ca.


4. Apply for Channel Clearing Grants

The Water Security Agency (WSA) recognizes the valuable work that rural municipalities (RMs) do in our province, and the impact that blocked watercourses can have on them, so we encourage RMs and Conservation & Development Area Authorities (C&Ds) to apply for channel clearing grants. The grant program is being expanded from $600,000 this year, to $2 million over two years.

The channel clearing program is to help remove debris, silt and beaver dams from natural watercourses to lower the chances of blockages that can cause flooding to roadways and agricultural land. Keeping our natural waterways clear of obstructions like sediment and beaver dams is not only good for rural Saskatchewan and producers, but it also helps protect rural infrastructure. And this year, in addition to the increased funding, the WSA has also streamlined the process to make it easier for RMs, C&Ds, and watershed authorities to apply. Increased funding and an easier application process will help benefit communities in Saskatchewan.

Constructed works for drainage or moving water are not eligible for the rebate. The deadline to apply is January 31, 2022.

For more information on the program, please visit the Channel Clearing Grant page on the Water Security Agency's website.


5. Lake Diefenbaker Irrigation Projects Open Houses

Attend one of our open house events to learn more about the Lake Diefenbaker Irrigation Projects.

Our team will share updates and take questions on all aspects of the projects.

  • Delisle Community Centre
    Wednesday, July 28, 2021
    3 to 8 p.m.

  • Outlook Heritage Centre
    Thursday, July 29, 2021
    3 to 8 p.m.

Need information now? Visit diefenbakerirrigation.ca

We need your feedback to improve saskatchewan.ca. Help us improve