Key tasks in July, August and early September
- Reminder: no tax levy may be authorized unless the council has adopted the operating and capital budget for the year.
- Ensure a tax levy is authorized by resolution or bylaw prior to the August 15 deadline for tax roll preparation.
- If using tax tools, ensure a bylaw for minimum tax, base tax or mill rate factors is passed prior to the August 15 deadline for tax roll preparation.
- August (The Municipalities Act, The Northern Municipalities Act, 2010)
- Prepare the tax roll on or before August 15.
- Prepare and send tax notices prior to September 1.
- September 1 (The Municipalities Act, The Northern Municipalities Act, 2010)
- Publicize the financial statements or a summary of them and the auditor’s report by this date.
- A municipality may prepare the assessment roll on or after September 1 in the year before the year to which the assessment roll relates.
Remember that a detailed legislative and operational calendar is available online on www.saskatchewan.ca.
Training for Board of Revision Members and Secretaries
Government Relations completed a pilot project in webinar training for board of revision members and secretaries. Two taped webinars are available for viewing.
The webinar for board of revision members covers:
- role of the board;
- appeal process;
- conducting a fair hearing; and
- decisions of the board.
The webinar for board of revision secretaries covers:
- role of the secretary;
- legislated deadlines;
- appeal process; and
- rules about evidence.
Please contact Melissa McCloy, Municipal Advisor at firstname.lastname@example.org or by phone at (306) 798-0131, if you would like a link to access the webinars sent to you. You will be able to forward the link to additional viewers.
Remember that an updated Board of Revision manual is available online at Assessment Appeals Guide For Board of Revision Members in Saskatchewan. This guide helps board of revision members and secretaries understand their role in the assessment appeal process.
New LAFOIP Resource
Recorded webinar training about The Local Authority Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act (LAFOIP) is available online at https://oipc.sk.ca/resources/webinars/.
The webinar covers:
- access requests;
- privacy breaches;
- the Information and Privacy Commissioner; and
- balancing the Public and the Private.
Next Edition of Municipalities Today
The next edition of Municipalities Today will be distributed on Friday, September 15.