Google Translate Disclaimer

A number of pages on the Government of Saskatchewan`s web site have been professionally translated in French. These translations are identified by a yellow text box that resembles the link below and can be found in the right hand rail of the page. The home page for French-language content on this site can be found here:

Renseignements en Français

Where an official translation is not available, Google™ Translate can be used. Google™ Translate is a free online language translation service that can translate text and web pages into different languages. Translations are made available to increase access to Government of Saskatchewan content for populations whose first language is not English.

The results of software-based translation do not approach the fluency of a native speaker or possess the skill of a professional translator. The translation should not be considered exact, and may include incorrect or offensive language Government of Saskatchewan does not warrant the accuracy, reliability or timeliness of any information translated by this system. Some files or items cannot be translated, including graphs, photos, and other file formats such as portable document formats (PDFs).

Any person or entities that rely on information obtained from the system does so at his or her own risk. Government of Saskatchewan is not responsible for any damage or issues that may possibly result from using translated website content. If you have any questions about Google™ Translate, please visit: Google™ Translate FAQs.

2017 October


1. Municipal Administrator’s Corner

Key Tasks in October and November

  • Review your year to date operating and capital costs. If needed, amend your operating or capital budget.
  • Municipal councils may wish to begin discussions about the 2018 budget.
  • On or before November 15, the treasurer shall prepare and deliver to the reeve or mayor the list of land in arrears in accordance with The Tax Enforcement Act.
  • Council members are required to submit an annual declaration for the public disclosure statement on or before November 30, 2017.

Remember that a detailed legislative and operational calendar is available online on

Government Relations is developing webinars on a number of topics. Once complete, the webinars will be uploaded to our View Administrator Training Webinars page on You can find the webinars for board of revision members and secretaries mentioned in previous Municipalities Today newsletters on this page.

Office of the Information and Privacy Commissioner
Don’t forget the webinar training about The Local Authority Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act (LAFOIP) which is available on the Office of the Information and Privacy Commission (OIPC) website.

The OIPC office also developed a blog about municipal responsibilities under LAFOIP. The blog includes links to short resources for elected officials.

The office also posts Review Reports about the complaints they receive. Reviewing these reports will help you respond to access to information requests from ratepayers and elected officials.

Municipal Administrators’ Resource Guide
The ministry emailed a Municipal Administrators’ Resource Guide to towns, villages, and RMs on August 16, 2017. You can also view or download this guide from the Government of Saskatchewan’s Publication Centre website.

Organized Hamlet Guide
A new Organized Hamlet Guide is also available for viewing or downloading from the Publication Centre website.


2. Update on the Civic Address Registry

The Civic Address Registry (CAR) is a province-wide standardized system of identifying and locating homes and businesses. The registry helps dispatchers and emergency responders (such as police, fire and ambulance) to find your property quickly. CAR is especially important when responders are unfamiliar with an area or when the emergency cannot be seen easily (e.g., little or no smoke from a fire).

Over the last two years, the CAR program reached a number of milestones including:

  • 185 rural municipalities registered in the program; the following five completed their civic address validation:
    • RM of Clayton No. 333
    • RM of Grayson No. 184
    • RM of Lipton No. 217
    • RM of Hillsdale No. 440
    • RM of Aberdeen No. 373
  • Clayton was the first rural municipality in Saskatchewan to erect CAR signage on properties as part of the program.

Municipalities and the Ministry of Highways and Infrastructure continue to work together to update road names in the provincial digital road network, which are part of the Sask911 system. (This work is not to be confused with any processes for road signage near provincial highways.)

Webinar Training
You can sign up for webinar training that provides details on municipal road name status and key agency contact information to help you with the program. If your municipality is interested, there are three live webinars available:

  1. Civic Addressing Overview and Validation
  2. Road Name Updates
  3. Website Address Updates

Contact the Provincial Help Desk at 1-844-407-0077 or email to register for the CAR program or for the webinar. Your dedication to public safety ensures the well-being and lifestyle for your residents.


3. Free CAO Performance Evaluation Toolkit Now Available

An effective working partnership between a council and its Chief Administrative Officer (CAO) can be one of the most critical prerequisites for municipal success.

The Canadian Association of Municipal Administrators (CAMA) recently developed a three-step CAO Performance Evaluation Toolkit that may benefit municipalities across the country.

The toolkit can enhance the CAO/Council relationship and help council achieve its strategic goals and objectives.

You can download this toolkit for free from the CAMA website whether you are a member or not.


4. Ask a Planner

This month’s “Ask a Planner” column is the first article in a series of questions about municipal reserves. These questions will help you discover what legislation says about how these lands are created, how they may be used and managed, how municipal policy and zoning can encourage the use of municipal reserves, and how money can be spent from the dedicated lands account.

Additional information on this topic and others can be found by visiting Community Planning, Land Use and Development.

“What are dedicated lands and municipal reserves?”

Dedicated lands are intended for public use and are administered by municipalities. There are several types of dedicated lands in Saskatchewan: buffer strips, environmental reserves, municipal reserves, public reserves, and walkways. Municipal reserves are governed by The Planning and Development Act, 2007 (PDA) and The Dedicated Lands Regulations, 2009. They are intended for parks, recreation, open space, schools, and public amenities. Only activities outlined in legislation may occur on them. A council which has been designated as an approving authority may permit additional uses.

Historically, municipal reserves were created for public health and recreation purposes, designated as “public reserves”, and titled to the province. In 1991 almost all of these public reserve parcels were transferred to municipalities. A few public reserves remain titled to the province. However, like all dedicated lands, these parcels remain the responsibility of the municipality to administer and maintain (sec 202, PDA).

For new subdivisions, legislation requires land owners to provide part of the land as municipal reserve. This can be done via the land itself or money in lieu of land. (Information about calculating the appropriate amount of municipal reserve will be discussed in a future column.) When cash in lieu of land is provided, the municipality must deposit the funds into a municipal dedicated lands account. The account must be separate from the general revenue account, and expenditures can be made only on uses permitted in the legislation.

If you would like to see a specific issue about municipal reserves discussed in a future column, or included in information handouts to developers or municipalities, please contact the Community Planning branch.

We need your feedback to improve Help us improve