COVID-19 test results are conducted at multiple locations around the province within Saskatchewan Health Authority laboratories, including the Roy Romanow Provincial Laboratory. When results are positive, the local Medical Health Officer and the ordering physician are quickly informed. Patients with positive test results will be notified of their results by medical authorities.
The laboratories prioritize COVID-19 tests from symptomatic individuals before asymptomatic testing. We are working to maintain a 24-48 hour turnaround time for test results from symptomatic COVID-19 suspected cases. Delays in results of asymptomatic screening tests may be expected depending on demand.
Factors such as the volume of tests being processed or the distance the test is transported may affect the length of time it takes to notify the patient.
The fastest way to receive your COVID-19 test results is online by signing up for MySaskHealthRecord at eHealthsask.ca. Test results are also available through phone notification, family physician (book for appointment).
Text Message Negative COVID-19 Test Results
The Saskatchewan Health Authority (SHA) is now offering the opportunity for you to receive timely notifications for negative COVID-19 test results by text message during your COVID-19 test at drive-thru testing sites and static testing sites.
During your COVID-19 test you will be asked if you wish to provide consent to receive your negative test results by text message. In order to participate, you must provide a correct cell phone number. Text messages will be sent between the hours of 8:00 a.m. and 10:00 p.m., seven days a week based on COVID-19 test results being processed at the lab. Your COVID-19 test results from the Saskatchewan Health Authority can be easily identified with the phone number 89362 or 89364. Within the text message from the SHA you will be asked to verify if you are the correct recipient for the result by choosing the reply option 'Accept'. If you are not the right recipient and an incorrect contact number has been provided, you can choose the reply option 'Wrong Number' to not accept the message and the SHA will use other contact methods to provide those negative test results to the right person.
If your COVID-19 test result is positive someone from Public Health will contact you within 24 to 48 hours after your test is processed at the lab and provide you with direction on self-isolation and to complete contact tracing questions.
If you do not wish to receive your negative COVID-19 test results by text message, someone from the SHA will call to ensure you receive your negative test results. To receive your COVID-19 test results online, sign up for MySaskHealthRecord at eHealthsask.ca.
Parents/guardians can consent to receive results for dependents under the age of 14 years old. Each individual test result will be delivered by an individual text, which means you may receive multiple texts if you provide a single cellular number for your family unit.
There will be no charge from the Saskatchewan Health Authority to receive negative COVID-19 test results by text message. Depending on your cell phone plan and provider some charges may apply. This system will not require or ask for any financial information or ask you to provide any personal information beyond the information needed to verify or confirm that the correct person has been contacted.
The COVID-19 testing sites offering negative COVID-19 test result text messages include:
|Negative COVID-19 Test Result Text Message Collection Testing Site List
|ILE A LA CROSSE-CTA
Anyone experiencing COVID-19 symptoms, even if they are mild, should be tested immediately. Anyone who receives a negative test result but continues to experience COVID-19 symptoms should be retested.
- Once you have received your negative test result, if you have symptoms of COVID-19, even if they are mild, you will need to SELF-ISOLATE until your symptoms have been gone for 48 hours.
- If you have been told by Public Health that you are a close contact, you are legally required to SELF-ISOLATE for 14 days after the last exposure to someone diagnosed with COVID, regardless of your test result and until you have been cleared by Public Health.
- If you are returning from travel outside of Canada or have travelled internationally, you must SELF-ISOLATE for 14 days after returning to Canada, regardless of your test results, as required under the Federal Quarantine Act.
- If you have NO symptoms after 48 hours and have NOT been deemed a close contact by Public Health you do not need to isolate. Please monitor for symptoms and if you develop symptoms, contact 811 to be retested or visit a drive through testing site.
Please remember to follow all public guidelines, including isolation.
For additional information, please read the Frequently Asked Questions.
Please note: When you consent to receive negative COVID-19 test results by text message, if you have anonymous text message/call blocking settings enabled on your phone you may need to change this in order to receive the message coming from the SHA number 89362 or 89364 as it may not be a number your phone is set to recognize. Additionally, upon receiving your COVID-19 test result by text message your result may be displayed on your phone's screen and become accessible to anyone who has access to your phone. Please adjust the settings of your phone to meet your privacy preferences.
Test Results for Travellers
- The Government of Canada, the Government of Saskatchewan and the Saskatchewan Health Authority are still advising against unnecessary travel, especially internationally. However, if you do decide to travel, it is important to follow the recommended travel guidelines.
- The SHA is working hard to provide test results in a timely manner. However, it takes time to process and analyze tests and testing is prioritized for symptomatic individuals before asymptomatic testing.
- It is unlikely that getting results should take more than seven days. However, if you require proof of a negative COVID-19 test before your flight, research the requirements of the airline as well as your destination (as they may be different). Take into account testing and test result turnaround time as you plan your travel.
The Saskatchewan Health Authority is partnering with Quantum Genetix Canada to provide an independent testing service as an option for asymptomatic testing, specifically travellers who require proof of a negative COVID-19 test for their airline or destination.
This is testing became available in December 2020 and is user-pay. Residents and businesses who are interested can learn more at Quantum Genetix.
The agreement between the SHA and Quantum Genetix would see the company collecting and processing test specimens for asymptomatic people. All patient information collected would go to the SHA, and any specimen that is found to be positive will be forwarded to the Roy Romanow Provincial Laboratory for confirmation and verification. All testing performed will be included in the daily provincial case report, posted at saskatchewan.ca/COVID19.
If you would like to receive your COVID-19 test results online, sign up for MySaskHealthRecord at eHealthsask.ca. Click on the blue "MySaskHealthRecord" button in the middle of the page.