Solid waste collection and disposal is an essential service in Saskatchewan. The following is intended to provide municipalities with up-to-date information on how to keep citizens and employees safe as they continue to provide this critical service:
- At this time, no special precautions to protect waste workers from COVID-19 are recommended when handling municipal solid waste. Continue to use all precautions already in place to protect workers from the hazards they encounter during their routine job tasks, including specific requirements for the handling of medical waste suspected or known to be contaminated with COVID-19.
- Continue to follow all Ministry of Health guidance regarding COVID-19, including staying home and away from others if you are sick.
- The Solid Waste Association of North America (SWANA) website provides information and guidance related to COVID-19 for solid waste management workers and employers.
- SWANA has also prepared a downloadable guidance document about COVID-19 for solid waste management workers and employers.
- World Health Organization guidance on water, sanitation and health care waste for COVID-19