In April 2007, the Saskatchewan Workers’ Compensation Board (WCB) and the Ministry of Advanced Education and Employment signed a Memorandum of Understanding (MOU) to extend workers’ compensation coverage to students undertaking unpaid work-based learning. The Ministry of Advanced Education supports claims associated with post-secondary institutions that have coverage pursuant to the MOU. The Ministry of the Economy supports claims associated with community-based organizations.
In order to ensure students undertaking unpaid work-based learning have continued workers’ compensation coverage, the MOU has been extended to August 31, 2018 on its original Terms and Conditions. There are no changes to the claims process.
Prior to placing a student/participant with an employer, the post-secondary institution/community-based organization must ensure that the student/participant has completed a Work-Based Learning Consent and Agreement Form.
If the student/participant becomes injured on the worksite, the following should be done:
- Get medical attention if required. The employer should provide appropriate first aid and arrange immediate transportation so the worker can receive appropriate treatment from a qualified health care professional.
- Report the incident to the employer at the work placement and the school or community-based organization’s work placement coordinator immediately.
- Have your healthcare provider report to the WCB.
- Complete the Employer's Initial Report of Injury (E1) Form.
- The E1 must be submitted to the Ministry of Advanced Education within three days. This form should be completed by the institution's/community-based organization's work based learning coordinator in consultation with the employer. The E1 form, along with the completed Schedule B, the Work-Based Learning Consent and Agreement form, must be faxed to the co-ordinator at 306-798-3159. The Ministry of Advanced Education will submit the form to the WCB.
- Section A should include the workplace employer's name, address, and postal code should be entered above our ministry address, and fields on the right side should be filled in with the workplace employer's information.
- The E1 form should be signed by the institution's/community-based organization's work placement coordinator.
- This should be done regardless of whether there are lost wages as a result of the accident or not. (Loss of wages may occur in those cases where the student/participant has a job but will have to miss work due to the injury during their work placement.)
- Complete the Worker's Initial Report of Injury (W1) Form.
- Complete the W1 as soon as possible.
- Section A should include the requested information and in block letters, the statement: Post-Secondary, CBO WORK PLACEMENT STUDENT
- Section B should include the employer's address for the workplace at which the student/participant is placed, the name of the post-secondary institution/community-based organization and should list the contact name and phone number of the employer AND the work placement coordinator from the institution/community-based organization.
- This form must be faxed to the co-ordinator at 306-798-3159 as soon as possible. The Ministry of Advanced Education will submit the form to the WCB.