Prior to placing a student/participant with an employer, the post-secondary institution/community-based organization must ensure that the student/participant has completed a Work-based Learning Consent and Agreement Form.
If the student/participant becomes injured on the worksite, the following should be done:
- Get medical attention if required. The employer should provide appropriate first aid and arrange immediate transportation so the worker can receive appropriate treatment from a qualified health care professional.
- Report the incident to the employer at the work placement and the school or community-based organization’s work placement coordinator immediately.
- Have your healthcare provider report to the Workers' Compensation Board (WCB). Note: the WCB forms provided below have been amended to reflect the unique nature of student/participant work placements. Please use these forms in the event of an injury to a student.
- Complete the E1 Form
- The Employer's Initial Report of Injury (E1) must be submitted to the Ministry of Advanced Education within three days. This form should be completed by the institution's/community-based organization's work based learning coordinator in consultation with the employer. The E1 form, along with the completed Schedule B, the Work-based Learning Consent and Agreement form, must be faxed to the Coordinator at: 306.798.3159. The Ministry of Advanced Education will submit the form to the WCB.
- Section A - The workplace employer's name, address, and postal code should be entered above our ministry address, and fields on the right side should be filled in with the workplace employer's information.
- Complete all other sections.
- The E1 form should be signed by the institution's/community-based organization's work placement coordinator.
- This should be done regardless of whether there are lost wages as a result of the accident or not. (Loss of wages may occur in those cases where the student/participant has a job but will have to miss work due to the injury during their work placement.)
- Complete the W1 Form.
- Complete the Worker's Initial Report of Injury (W1) as soon as possible.
- Section A should include the requested information and in block letters, the statement: Post-Secondary, CBO WORK PLACEMENT STUDENT
- Section B of the W1 form should include the employer's address for the workplace at which the student/participant is placed, the name of the post-secondary institution/community-based organization and should list the contact name and phone number of the employer AND the work placement coordinator from the institution/community-based organization.
- This form must be faxed to the Coordinator at: 306.798.3159 as soon as possible. The Ministry of Advanced Education will submit the form to the WCB