Google Translate Disclaimer

A number of pages on the Government of Saskatchewan`s web site have been professionally translated in French. These translations are identified by a yellow text box that resembles the link below and can be found in the right hand rail of the page. The home page for French-language content on this site can be found here:

Renseignements en Français

Where an official translation is not available, Google™ Translate can be used. Google™ Translate is a free online language translation service that can translate text and web pages into different languages. Translations are made available to increase access to Government of Saskatchewan content for populations whose first language is not English.

The results of software-based translation do not approach the fluency of a native speaker or possess the skill of a professional translator. The translation should not be considered exact, and may include incorrect or offensive language Government of Saskatchewan does not warrant the accuracy, reliability or timeliness of any information translated by this system. Some files or items cannot be translated, including graphs, photos, and other file formats such as portable document formats (PDFs).

Any person or entities that rely on information obtained from the system does so at his or her own risk. Government of Saskatchewan is not responsible for any damage or issues that may possibly result from using translated website content. If you have any questions about Google™ Translate, please visit: Google™ Translate FAQs.

Student Participant Placement Injury

In April 2007, the Saskatchewan Workers’ Compensation Board (WCB) and the Ministry of Advanced Education and Employment signed a Memorandum of Understanding (MOU) to extend workers’ compensation coverage to students undertaking unpaid work-based learning. The Ministry of Advanced Education supports claims associated with post-secondary institutions that have coverage pursuant to the MOU. The Ministry of Immigration and Career Training supports claims associated with community-based organizations. 

In order to ensure students undertaking unpaid work-based learning have continued workers’ compensation coverage, the MOU has been extended to December 31, 2019 on its original Terms and Conditions. There are no changes to the claims process. 

Prior to placing a student/participant with an employer, the post-secondary institution/community-based organization must ensure that the student/participant has completed a Work-Based Learning Consent and Agreement Form.

If the student/participant becomes injured on the worksite, the following should be done:

  1. Get medical attention if required. The employer should provide appropriate first aid and arrange immediate transportation so the worker can receive appropriate treatment from a qualified health care professional.

  2. Report the incident to the employer at the work placement and the school or community-based organization’s work placement coordinator immediately.

  3. Have your healthcare provider report to the WCB.

  4. Complete the Employer's Initial Report of Injury (E1) Form.
    1. The E1 must be submitted to the Ministry of Advanced Education within three days. This form should be completed by the institution's/community-based organization's work based learning coordinator in consultation with the employer. The E1 form, along with the completed Schedule B, the Work-Based Learning Consent and Agreement form, must be faxed to the co-ordinator at 306-798-3159. The Ministry of Advanced Education will submit the form to the WCB.
      1. Section A should include the workplace employer's name, address, and postal code should be entered above our ministry address, and fields on the right side should be filled in with the workplace employer's information.
      2. The E1 form should be signed by the institution's/community-based organization's work placement coordinator.
    2. This should be done regardless of whether there are lost wages as a result of the accident or not. (Loss of wages may occur in those cases where the student/participant has a job but will have to miss work due to the injury during their work placement.)

  5. Complete the Worker's Initial Report of Injury (W1) Form.
    1. Complete the W1 as soon as possible.
    2. Section A should include the requested information and in block letters, the statement: Post-Secondary, CBO WORK PLACEMENT STUDENT
    3. Section B should include the employer's address for the workplace at which the student/participant is placed, the name of the post-secondary institution/community-based organization and should list the contact name and phone number of the employer AND the work placement coordinator from the institution/community-based organization.
    4. This form must be faxed to the co-ordinator at 306-798-3159 as soon as possible. The Ministry of Advanced Education will submit the form to the WCB.

We need your feedback to improve Help us improve