Google Translate Disclaimer

A number of pages on the Government of Saskatchewan`s web site have been professionally translated in French. These translations are identified by a yellow text box that resembles the link below and can be found in the right hand rail of the page. The home page for French-language content on this site can be found here:

Renseignements en Français

Where an official translation is not available, Google™ Translate can be used. Google™ Translate is a free online language translation service that can translate text and web pages into different languages. Translations are made available to increase access to Government of Saskatchewan content for populations whose first language is not English.

The results of software-based translation do not approach the fluency of a native speaker or possess the skill of a professional translator. The translation should not be considered exact, and may include incorrect or offensive language Government of Saskatchewan does not warrant the accuracy, reliability or timeliness of any information translated by this system. Some files or items cannot be translated, including graphs, photos, and other file formats such as portable document formats (PDFs).

Any person or entities that rely on information obtained from the system does so at his or her own risk. Government of Saskatchewan is not responsible for any damage or issues that may possibly result from using translated website content. If you have any questions about Google™ Translate, please visit: Google™ Translate FAQs.

Rights and Responsibilities of Landlords and Tenants

The Residential Tenancies Act, 2006 and The Residential Tenancies Regulations, 2007 balances the needs of tenants for safe, secure, and habitable living accommodations, and the needs of landlords to conduct a viable business and protect their property investment.

What type of rental property does this apply to?

  • residential property in Saskatchewan, not located on federal land;
  • any rental agreement with a  person under 18 years of age; and
  • most “room and board” arrangements.

What type of rental property does this not apply to?

  • an agreement where the living accommodations and a business are located together and under a single agreement;
  • hotel, motel, resort, cottage, bed and breakfast, if rented for less than six consecutive months;
  • crisis or emergency shelters;
  • hospitals, treatment centres, personal care homes;
  • farm acreage, if the person is farming the property;
  • living accommodations provided by educational institutions to students and employees;
  • the YMCA, YWCA, Salvation Army;
  • life lease and lease for a term 20 years and more.

The Act and regulations do not apply to "rent-to-own" arrangements and agreements for sale of land through periodic payments, whether monthly or otherwise. Any agreement that creates a potential ownership interest in property is a matter for the courts. You should consult a lawyer about your rights.

A lease or other contract, either written or verbal, is legally binding and can only be changed by mutual agreement of the landlord and tenant, with one exception - a landlord may raise rent on proper notice. The landlord and tenants may agree to a change of the services provided, for example to install meters to charge for utilities rather than including utilities. If the landlord cannot obtain the agreement of the tenant(s) to the change, usually by a reduction in rent, the landlord may apply for an order from the ORT to allow the change and set the conditions. You may find more information on the Tenancy Agreements page.

Out-of-Province Landlords

All landlords who live outside the province are required to have an agent in Saskatchewan to whom the tenant may deliver notices or documents. They can do this by filling out the Power of Attorney - Non Resident Landlord form.

If an out-of-province landlord does not file a valid power of attorney with the Office of Residential Tenancies (ORT), or maintain an office in Saskatchewan where the landlord may be served, a tenant may serve the Director of the Office of Residential Tenancies with any notice intended for the landlord. If the ORT doesn't have a Power of Attorney from an out-of-province landlord, it is possible for tenants to serve a notice to vacate and for orders to be made against the landlord without the landlord receiving the notice to vacate or notice of a hearing.

We need your feedback to improve Help us improve