The Uniform Building and Accessibility Standards Act (the UBAS Act) provides the legislative framework for the application of building and accessibility standards.
Application of building and accessibility standards is a shared responsibility.
- The building owner is responsible to comply with building and accessibility standards.
- The local authority (municipality) is responsible for administration and enforcement of the standards.
- The Government of Saskatchewan is responsible for the legislative and regulatory framework, as well as high level policy, concerning the standards.
- Licensed building officials work for the municipality.
- Professional designers (i.e., registered architects and professional engineers) work for the building owner.