Google Translate Disclaimer

A number of pages on the Government of Saskatchewan`s web site have been professionally translated in French. These translations are identified by a yellow text box that resembles the link below and can be found in the right hand rail of the page. The home page for French-language content on this site can be found here:

Renseignements en Français

Where an official translation is not available, Google™ Translate can be used. Google™ Translate is a free online language translation service that can translate text and web pages into different languages. Translations are made available to increase access to Government of Saskatchewan content for populations whose first language is not English.

The results of software-based translation do not approach the fluency of a native speaker or possess the skill of a professional translator. The translation should not be considered exact, and may include incorrect or offensive language Government of Saskatchewan does not warrant the accuracy, reliability or timeliness of any information translated by this system. Some files or items cannot be translated, including graphs, photos, and other file formats such as portable document formats (PDFs).

Any person or entities that rely on information obtained from the system does so at his or her own risk. Government of Saskatchewan is not responsible for any damage or issues that may possibly result from using translated website content. If you have any questions about Google™ Translate, please visit: Google™ Translate FAQs.

Mandatory Checklist for Rebates Under the Farm and Ranch Water Infrastructure Program

By Kari Burnett PAg, Agriculture Program Specialist, Swift Current

February 2019

The Farm and Ranch Water Infrastructure Program (FRWIP) offers funding for producers to develop secure and sustainable agricultural water sources, such as wells, dugouts and pipelines. The program also supports rural well decommissioning that improves public safety and reduces potential groundwater contamination.

Dugout, pipeline and well projects are eligible for a maximum rebate of 50 per cent of eligible costs. Eligible applicants can receive a rebate for more than one project, but cannot exceed a maximum of $50,000 for dugout, pipeline and well projects over the five-year program term. Projects must be fully constructed and operational for agricultural use before a rebate will be issued. No interim payments will be made.

The FRWIP dugout, pipeline and well rebate does not require pre-approval. Producers are encouraged to plan and construct water projects that best fit with their operational needs. However, the applicant is responsible for ensuring the project meets program criteria prior to applying for the project rebate. Projects that do not meet program criteria will not be eligible for rebate.

It is the responsibility of the producer to ensure they comply with all program and regulatory requirements. This includes, but is not limited to:

  • Authorization to Construct – Written authorization is required from the legal, registered landowner granting permission to the applicant to develop a water project.
  • Premises Identification Number (PID) – If you own, lease or rent property where livestock and poultry are grown, kept, assembled or disposed of, a Premises Identification Number is required.
  • Water Rights Licence – Water Security Agency (WSA) approval is required for the right to use surface or ground water unless the use is considered domestic use and is exempt from the requirements for approval as defined in WSA’s Domestic Purpose Water Use. A WRL is required if dugout volume is > 5000 m³ (1.1 million gallons) or if annual usage is greater than 5000 m³.
  • Approval to Construct Works (ATC) and Approval to Operate Works (ATO) – WSA's two-step approval may be required any time works are constructed to divert, impound, or convey water unless they are exempted for domestic purposes as defined in WSA's Domestic Purpose Water Use. Exempt works include private domestic wells, domestic dugouts
  • Water Well Driller’s Report (WWDR) – A copy of the WWDR is required for all drilled (small diameter), bored (large diameter) wells and any test holes. Please contact (306) 694-3900 for more information.
  • Aquatic Habitat Protection Permit (AHPP) – A WSA AHPP permit is required prior to commencement for any work that occurs in the bed, bank or boundary of a water body or watercourse. Work conducted on water bodies or watercourses that do not flow into other surface waters and are wholly within the boundaries of land that is owned by the person carrying out the activity are exempt from the permit. For AHPP inquiries, please contact (306) 787-0726.
  • Municipal Approval – Written approval from the Rural Municipality is required if a pipeline crosses road allowances.
  • The Wildlife Habitat Protection Act (WHPA) or Crown Conservation Easement (CCE) – Any protected lands designated under WHPA or with a CCE registered on title require approval prior to proceeding with any project. Please contact the Ministry of Environment at 1-800-567-4224 for more information.
  • Critical Habitat – If the location of your proposed project is on lands identified as Critical Habitat for a listed species at risk, and if an alternate location is not feasible, approval prior to proceeding with ANY project is required. Contact the Executive Director of South of the Divide Conservation Area Program (SODCAP) at or (306) 530-1385.

Producers needing assistance can contact their regional Watershed or Agri-Environmental Association. A list of your nearest Watershed is available on the Agri Environmental Technical Services web page or by contacting the Agriculture Knowledge Centre at 1-866-457-2377.

Applicants must meet all regulatory requirements for water development projects. If all required approvals are not obtained the project will be ineligible for funding.

Agriculture Program Specialists are located throughout the province. They are there to help with questions about any of the Canadian Agriculture Partnership (CAP) programs.

FRWIP is offered under the Canadian Agriculture Partnership (CAP) suite of programs.

We need your feedback to improve Help us improve