By Ryan Mulatz, Program and Policy Analyst, Board Governance and Operations
The ministry is once again offering free governance training to agriculture-related boards, agencies and associations across the province.
This year, the Institute on Governance will facilitate the training online using Microsoft Teams. The topics that will be covered are:
- Principles and Practices for Effective Board Governance will provide an overview of governance best practices and is recommended as a starting point for new board members. This session is also useful for experienced boards/members looking to refresh their knowledge and better serve their members. Some of the areas covered in this session include a look at characteristics of high performing boards, roles and responsibilities, and guidance on running effective meetings.
- Oversight, Monitoring and Compliance will look at the various information and reporting needs of boards. Topics covered include oversight of corporate functions, financial oversight and audits, strategy implementation and evaluation, as well as crisis management and continuity.
- Building and Maintaining Effective Governance Systems will look at board member recruitment, onboarding, learning and self-assessment, tools to support governance system health, organizational leadership, as well as building effective relationships.
- Board’s Role in Strategy and Risk will take a deeper look at the board’s strategic plan, the strategic planning process, implementation, maintaining strategic focus, analyzing and mapping risks to your organization, as well as risk management.
Participants are encouraged to have some prior knowledge or experience with board governance, or have taken prior introductory courses before jumping into the more in-depth sessions. Participants are also encouraged to attend the Oversight, Governance Systems, and Strategy and Risk sessions with their fellow board members, if possible. While not a requirement, these three sessions will be focused on helping your board develop policies and processes relevant to the topic being covered. Attending with members of your board will allow for more thorough discussion on current policy and areas for improvement.
Each session will take place over two consecutive mornings from 8:30 a.m. to 12 p.m.
Course dates are as follows:
- Effective Board Governance: November 24-25, 2020 or February 9-10, 2021
- Oversight and Monitoring: December 9-10, 2020 or February 23-24, 2021
- Governance Systems: January 12-13, 2021 or March 3-4, 2021
- Strategy and Risk: January 27-28, 2021 or March 16-17, 2021
Sessions are open to all members of your board, executive directors, general managers, CEOs and other leadership staff. There is no cost to register or participate.
To register yourself or your board, send participant names, agency name, participant email address and the days you wish to attend to email@example.com.
For any questions, contact Ryan Mulatz or call 306-787-5364.