SFGA President Kirk Flaman completed his term as President at the annual conference on January 15, 2016. He stepped off the board for a few weeks, but in early February he decided he could not resist participating on a few committees, and that he could tolerate board meetings once again. Kirk undertook several initiatives while serving as President (starting February 10, 2014). He promoted partnership with Agriculture In the Classroom, so fruit growing in Saskatchewan could be brought into classrooms to raise the awareness and interest of students. He also coordinated talks to better organize the industry to ensure market development initiatives and investments are made with maximum efficiency. He will chair the SFGA’s Education Committee in 2016/17.
The new 2016/2017 SFGA Board includes:
- Mark Hodgson (President and Membership/Recruitment Committee member);
- Betty Forbes (Vice-President, Finance Committee member and Conference Committee Chair);
- Deanna Litz (Treasurer, Education Committee member and Finance Committee Chair);
- Mark Reed (Secretary and Finance Committee member);
- Will Stafford (Conference Committee member, and Membership/Recruitment Committee Chair);
- Kirk Flaman (Past-President, and Education Committee Chair); and
The Ex Officials are:
Long-time SFGA Board member Bruce Hill stepped off the board at the annual conference. Bruce had served the board in a number of capacities throughout his tenure, which started January 12, 2008, and ended January 16, 2016.
- Catherine Duczek (Agriculture and Agri-Food Canada);
- Forrest Scharf (Saskatchewan Ministry of Agriculture); and
- Bob Bors (University of Saskatchewan).
SFGA Administrator Patty Stewart resigned. Patty managed the association for seven years; she officially started duties on August 15, 2008, and ended mid-August, 2015.
Karen Mann has taken over many of the administrative duties formerly performed by Patty. Karen has been hired through contract with the Agriculture Council of Saskatchewan Inc.
Her contact information is:
PO Box 21038, Saskatoon, SK, S7H 5N
104-411 Downey Rd., Saskatoon, SK, S7N 4L8
The SFGA Board is negotiating to join the 2016 Green Trades Conference. Many details regarding this conference need to be determined, but we know it will be held Nov. 2, 3 and 4 at the Saskatoon Inn. Please mark those dates in your calendar!
The SFGA is also going to give a facelift to its website. We hope a much better-functioning site will be available by late summer.