By Tamara Wolfe, Executive Management Assistant, Regional Services Branch
February 13, 2018 is Canada’s Agriculture Day - a day when everyone can come together to celebrate the business of Canadian agriculture. It is a time to showcase all of the amazing things happening in the industry, help consumers see the connection to where their food comes from, and create a closer connection to the people who produce our food. Consumers want to learn more, and Canada’s Agriculture Day is a great way to start the conversation in person and on social media.
The first-ever Canada’s Agriculture Day was held on February 16, 2017, and was a huge success. The agriculture industry gathered at hundreds of events across the country, shared Ag pride, opened two-way communication about food and trended nationally on Twitter. Let’s keep the momentum going in 2018 – join us on February 13 as we celebrate the industry we love.
Here are a few ways you can get involved:
- Wish your friends and co-workers a happy Canadian Ag Day!
- Challenge yourself to make a meal for your family with all Canadian foods.
- Snap a pic of what you’re doing and share it on social media – include hashtags like #CdnAgDay and #FarmLife.
- Host a potluck and encourage your group to use all Canadian ingredients. Tweet about it with #CdnAgDay as well as hashtags to reach a non-ag audience, like #LoveYourFood and #Foodie.
- Engage your community in the celebration. Invite your neighbours to coffee or organize an open house of your operation or business.
- Visit AgMoreThanEver.ca and take an agvocate challenge.
- Create a photo collage to showcase what you do throughout the year. Tweet about it with #IWorkInAg and #CdnAgDay
- Give back to the community by volunteering at your local food bank or soup kitchen.
Visit AgDay.ca for more information, ideas, resources and event to celebrate Canada’s Agriculture Day.