Saskatchewan follows the National Standard for Pesticide Education, Training and Certification in Canada and recognizes training from other provinces as reciprocal if the training is equivalent to Ministerial requirements in Saskatchewan. Issuance of Saskatchewan licences is based on proof of training not on out-of-province licenses.
The Pest Control Products (Saskatchewan) Act and Regulations, 2015 state in part that:
19(1) An applicant for a pesticide applicator licence shall pass an approved pesticide training course to be eligible to obtain a licence.
(2) An applicant for the renewal of a pesticide applicator licence shall have passed an approved pesticide training course within the preceding five years to be eligible to obtain the renewal.
The ministry holds the view that it requires the same standards for out-of-province pesticide applicators as the standards that are in place for applicators trained in Saskatchewan.
The ministry has continuing education credits (CEC's) available in the following pesticide applicator licence categories:
- Industrial vegetation;
- Structural; and
- Rat Control.
The ministry recognizes CEC's from other jurisdictions for renewal provided the training documents accompanying the application or renewal has the date in which the CEC's were completed.
Fifteen CEC's are required for renewal.
Out-of-province pesticide applicators seeking a Saskatchewan licence in categories not recognized for CEC's can do so in two ways:
- Write the Saskatchewan Pesticide Applicator exam, or
- Provide proof of training (taken within the last five years) offered by an approved out-of-province training institution for equivalent licence categories.
Steps to obtain a licence:
- Complete the Saskatchewan Pesticide Applicator Licence Application Form.
- The licence fee must accompany the application or renewal form. A five year licence is available for new and re-certified applicators whose training is valid for five years.
- Provide proof of a training certificate indicating the date training was passed from an approved out-of-province training institution. This includes a photocopy of the training documentation and a photocopy of valid certificate(s), licence(s) and/or permit(s) held in other provinces.
- Provide proof of completion of Saskatchewan Legislation examination. Contact Saskatchewan Polytechnic at 306-775-7473.
Note: If the attached training certificate does not indicate the date training was taken, please arrange for your training institution to send proof of training that clearly indicates the date of training to the licensing officials in Saskatchewan.
Note: New applicants to Saskatchewan will be required to write the Saskatchewan legislation examination. Contact Saskatchewan Polytechnic at 306-775-7473 for more information.
Applications or renewals that do not have the proper training documentation attached will be returned and will cause a delay in issuance.
Saskatchewan will not issue a licence:
- Extending beyond the expiry date of the licence in the originating province; or
- Past 5 years of the training date.
Send completed applications or renewals to:
Saskatchewan Ministry of Agriculture
Crops and Irrigation Branch
Room 125 - 3085 Albert Street
Regina, SK S4S 0B1
Or by email to:
requesting to pay by credit card
For further information, call the Licensing Officer at 306-787-4662.