A number of pages on the Government of Saskatchewan's website have been professionally translated in French. These translations are identified by a yellow box in the right or left rail that resembles the link below. The home page for French-language content on this site can be found at:
Where an official translation is not available, Google™ Translate can be used. Google™ Translate is a free online language translation service that can translate text and web pages into different languages. Translations are made available to increase access to Government of Saskatchewan content for populations whose first language is not English.
Software-based translations do not approach the fluency of a native speaker or possess the skill of a professional translator. The translation should not be considered exact, and may include incorrect or offensive language. The Government of Saskatchewan does not warrant the accuracy, reliability or timeliness of any information translated by this system. Some files or items cannot be translated, including graphs, photos and other file formats such as portable document formats (PDFs).
Any person or entities that rely on information obtained from the system does so at his or her own risk. Government of Saskatchewan is not responsible for any damage or issues that may possibly result from using translated website content. If you have any questions about Google™ Translate, please visit: Google™ Translate FAQs.
Food Safety for Processors aims to enhance food safety in Saskatchewan agri-business production facilities. This program supports food processors, including fruit growers, vegetable growers and greenhouse operations that conduct activities beyond basic growing and harvesting, to achieve food safety regulatory requirements that will increase their competitiveness, productivity and profitability.
Saskatchewan Food Industry Development Centre (Food Centre) – Ministry of Agriculture funding assists the Food Centre in providing food safety gap analyses and food safety system development for eligible applicants. Please contact the Food Centre for information on how to obtain support to conduct a gap analysis and develop a food safety system.
Food processors may apply to the ministry for funding for food safety training and for food processor upgrade projects after obtaining a gap analysis.
Food Safety Gap Analysis (contact the Food Centre)
Funding is available for completing a Food Safety Gap Analysis. The ministry provides a direct rebate to the Food Centre for 75 per cent of the eligible costs for completing a Food Safety Gap Analysis to a maximum payment of $1,500 per eligible applicant. Eligible applicants will be responsible for the remaining 25 per cent which is payable to the Food Centre.
Food Safety System (contact the Food Centre)
Funding is available for developing a Food Safety System. The ministry provides a direct rebate to the Food Centre for 75 per cent of the eligible costs to develop a Food Safety System to a maximum payment of $35,000 per eligible applicant. Eligible applicants will be responsible for the remaining 25 per cent which is payable to the Food Centre.
Food Safety Training
Funding should be used to hire a third-party trainer to deliver targeted food safety training; and
The ministry funds 50 per cent of total eligible costs to a maximum program payment of $10,000 per eligible applicant;
Third-party must be arms-length to the eligible applicant.
Food Processor Upgrade Project
The ministry funds 50 per cent of the total eligible costs to a maximum program payment of $60,000 per eligible applicant.
Maximum funding available under the Food Safety for Processors Program to an eligible applicant is $60,000, including funding from food safety training and food processor upgrade projects.
Eligible applicants include existing Saskatchewan agri-businesses involved in food processing of Saskatchewan agricultural products including fruit growers, vegetable growers or greenhouse operations who meet the following requirements:
The agri-business must be existing and in operation for a minimum of two years to access all funding streams, with the exception of the Food Safety Training.
Must be manufacturing, processing, treating, preserving, packaging and/or labelling food product for commercial sale for human consumption, beyond the direct consumer where retail is not a primary line of business.
Must make a physical transformation or upgrade a raw/primary agricultural product(s) or any agricultural by-product or waste into a new or upgraded product, excluding fruit growers, vegetable growers or greenhouse operations involved in packaging produce.
Must file an income tax return in Saskatchewan or be able to provide other documentation indicating they are duly registered and authorized to conduct business in Saskatchewan.
Fruit growers, vegetable growers or greenhouse operations must have Good Agricultural Practices (CanadaGAP) certification or Global Food Safety Initiative (GFSI) recognized certification.
The following facilities are not eligible for funding:
Micro-breweries, wineries, distilleries and other producers of beverage alcohol.
Meat processors without slaughter.
Facilities that solely process pet food/animal feed.
Greenhouses that primarily support nursery/potting plants.
Facilities that process cannabis or other cannabis related products.
Retail or wholesale facilities such as grocery stores.
The Saskatchewan Food Industry Development Centre (Food Centre) has been approved to conduct the Food Safety Gap Analysis for eligible applicants. Food Safety Gap Analysis must be completed no later than October 31, 2022.
Applicants are to contact the Food Centre directly for information on how to obtain support to have a Food Safety Gap Analysis completed at their facility.
The Food Safety Gap Analysis assesses the specific needs of the applicant to reach or maintain food safety requirements as required by The Safe Food for Canadians Act and regulations, meat inspection legislation/regulations or other food safety systems.
The Food Safety Gap Analysis will be valid for the life of the Canadian Agricultural Partnership unless major changes occur at the facility requiring a new analysis. The analysis will identify opportunities relating, but not limited to training, equipment, facility (structure), sanitation and pest control, traceability and recall procedures.
An existing Food Safety Gap Analysis by a qualified independent third-party may be reviewed on a case-by-case basis and validated by the Food Centre.
A recognized Food Safety Gap Analysis is required for eligible applicants to access Food Safety Systems and Food Processor Upgrade Projects.
Food Safety System
The Food Centre has been approved to develop and support implementation of Food Safety Systems for eligible applicants. Food Safety Systems developed must be completed by February 28, 2023.
Applicants are to contact the Food Centre directly for information on how to obtain support to develop a Food Safety System.
Eligible applicants must obtain a Food Safety Gap Analysis before applying for funding for a Food Safety System.
Food Safety Systems include, but not limited to Canadian Food Inspection Agency preventive control plans, British Retail Consortium (BRC), Hazard Analysis Critical Control Point (HACCP) and FSSC 22000.
Food Safety Training
Eligible applicants can seek funding from the ministry for food safety training. Applicants must apply and receive pre-approval prior to commencing any Food Safety Training.
Food Processor Upgrade Project
Eligible applicants can seek funding from the ministry for food processor upgrade projects. Applicants must apply and receive pre-approval prior to commencing any Food Processor Upgrade Project.
A Food Safety Gap Analysis is required to access funding for a Food Processor Upgrade Project.
Facility upgrades must address food safety issues identified in the gap analysis.
Upgrades must be in areas where food is processed, packaged or stored. Storage upgrades will be considered where temperature control is a regulatory requirement.
Equipment and materials must be installed and fully paid for at time of claim. No interim payments will be made.
Project expenses must be related to upgrading operations to meet food safety standards as outlined in the applicant's gap analysis.
Equipment approved for upgrading must no longer be used in food processing. Proof of decommissioning may be required. Any sale proceeds from the equipment being replaced will be deducted from the cost of the new equipment.