Google Translate Disclaimer

A number of pages on the Government of Saskatchewan`s web site have been professionally translated in French. These translations are identified by a yellow text box that resembles the link below and can be found in the right hand rail of the page. The home page for French-language content on this site can be found here:

Renseignements en Français

Where an official translation is not available, Google™ Translate can be used. Google™ Translate is a free online language translation service that can translate text and web pages into different languages. Translations are made available to increase access to Government of Saskatchewan content for populations whose first language is not English.

The results of software-based translation do not approach the fluency of a native speaker or possess the skill of a professional translator. The translation should not be considered exact, and may include incorrect or offensive language Government of Saskatchewan does not warrant the accuracy, reliability or timeliness of any information translated by this system. Some files or items cannot be translated, including graphs, photos, and other file formats such as portable document formats (PDFs).

Any person or entities that rely on information obtained from the system does so at his or her own risk. Government of Saskatchewan is not responsible for any damage or issues that may possibly result from using translated website content. If you have any questions about Google™ Translate, please visit: Google™ Translate FAQs.

Wildlife Population Surveys

The Government of Saskatchewan manages big game populations such as white-tailed deer, mule deer, moose, elk and pronghorn antelope. To help us understand the many aspects of wildlife populations such as size, productivity (e.g., calves per cow), reproduction (e.g., cows per bull), diseases, harvest levels and human-wildlife issues, we use three different types of surveys.

  • Trend Surveys
  • Population\Density Surveys
  • Herd structure\Sex and Age Surveys

Information can be collected several ways, including surveys that take place throughout the year. Volunteers help to collect data for white-tail deer and mule deer in the province, through the Co-operative Deer Management Survey. We conduct different surveys through roadside surveys or aerial surveys. When we drive or fly our surveys, we use many different techniques that are specific to the species surveyed and information required to assess the populations. 

Upland Game Bird Survey

Help us monitor upland game birds across the province. Each time you see an individual or group of upland game birds at a new location, please fill out the online Upland Game Bird Survey.

If you regularly see birds at the same location, please provide continued reports of the same single bird or group of upland game birds throughout the year. As a general guideline, one report per season will tell us about breeding success, the number of young birds and the survival of those young birds throughout the year.

Reports from your hunting experiences are also useful, but please record the number of birds after your hunt, not before it. All observations will be used solely for conservation and management of these species. The locations will not be shared publicly so birds are not overly disturbed and favourite hunting spots remain private.

Co-operative Deer Management Survey

The Co-operative Deer Management Survey (CDMS) is a long-standing, volunteer-based survey that provides the ministry with valuable deer productivity and herd structure information for making management decisions. In 2016, the survey will include the addition of moose and elk observations and the ability to record observations online. The ministry is exploring options to record observations using a mobile device in addition to the traditional printed format. If you enjoy observing wildlife and spending time outdoors, join the CDMS and contribute to wildlife management in Saskatchewan. To sign up, or for more information, contact the Provincial Deer Biologist at 306-786-1425.

We need your feedback to improve Help us improve