Google Translate Disclaimer

Translations of content on the Government of Saskatchewan website are performed by Google™ Translate. Google™ Translate is a free online language translation service that can translate text and web pages into different languages. Translations are made available to increase access to Government of Saskatchewan content for populations whose first language is not English.

The results of software-based translation do not approach the fluency of a native speaker or possess the skill of a professional translator. The translation should not be considered exact, and may include incorrect or offensive language Government of Saskatchewan does not warrant the accuracy, reliability or timeliness of any information translated by this system. Some files or items cannot be translated, including graphs, photos, and other file formats such as portable document formats (PDFs).

Any person or entities that rely on information obtained from the system does so at his or her own risk. Government of Saskatchewan is not responsible for any damage or issues that may possibly result from using translated website content. If you have any questions about Google™ Translate, please visit: Google™ Translate FAQs.

Save for your Children's Post-Secondary Education

The Saskatchewan Advantage Grant for Education Savings (SAGES) will help Saskatchewan families save for their children’s post-secondary education.

The Government of Saskatchewan will provide a grant of 10% on contributions made since January 1, 2013, into a Registered Education Savings Plan (RESP) to a maximum of $250 per child per year.

The maximum lifetime SAGES grant is $4,500 per child.

1. Who is Eligible

SAGES is available to a child who meets all of the following requirements:

The Saskatchewan Advantage Grant for Education Savings (SAGES) Act defines resident of Saskatchewan to mean a person:

  • who is lawfully entitled to be or to remain in Canada; and
  • who makes his or her home, and is ordinarily present, in Saskatchewan.
SAGES is only available to children residing in Saskatchewan.  If a parent or guardian resides outside Saskatchewan, the child is still eligible for SAGES if the child is a  resident of Saskatchewan and is an eligible beneficiary of an RESP.

The 16/17 year rule

There are special conditions for 16 and 17 year old beneficiaries of an RESP who are eligible for SAGES.  One of the following condition must apply before SAGES will be paid:

  • A minimum of $100 in annual RESP contributions must have been made (and not withdrawn) in any four years before the end of the calendar year the beneficiary turned 15; or
  • A minimum of $2,000 in RESP contributions must have been made (and not withdrawn) before the end of the calendar year the beneficiary turned 15.

2. How to Apply

First you will need to set up an RESP. The rules set out by Canada Revenue Agency state that any one can open an RESP for a child:  parents, guardians, grandparents, other relatives or friends. There are many different types of RESPs that you can open.  It is very important to choose the right type of RESP to meet your needs. Some RESP providers charge service fees or you may need to make a minimum deposit.  Visit CanLearn for more information on different RESPs and good questions to ask when choosing an RESP provider.

Once you have set up an RESP with an RESP Provider, simply ask the provider to help you fill out an application for SAGES.

You will need to include the following information in the application:

  • the name, birth date and gender of child;
  • length of time the child has been a resident of Saskatchewan; and
  • the name of the child's parent or guardian.

The application form will only be complete if it bears the signature of the child's parent or legal guardian. 

Your RESP provider will submit the application form electronically to the government for processing using a protected electronic system.  This system allows grant applications to be processed quickly, efficiently and also securely, ensuring that your personal information is always treated with utmost privacy.  It also allows for subsequent tracking of federal and provincial RESP grants for accountability purposes.  Once the application has been processed, the RESP provider will advise if the application has been accepted or rejected.

Please note:  Application forms mailed to the Government of Saskatchewan cannot be processed and will be returned.  All applications must be submitted directly through an eligible RESP provider using the protected electronic system.

Once your application has been processed, the Government of Saskatchewan will provide a grant of 10% on the contributions made into the RESP, up to $250 per child per year. The grant will be deposited directly into the child’s RESP 6-8 weeks after an eligible application is received.

Subscribers have up to three years to apply for a SAGES payment on an RESP contribution made after January 1, 2013.

Other options to receive SAGES

If a preferred RESP provider is not offering SAGES, there are three options:

  1. Children may be named as beneficiaries in more than one RESP.  You may choose to open an RESP at an authorized RESP provider and designate that RESP for receiving SAGES.
  2. There is a three-year window within which an application for SAGES must be made.  You may choose to wait to see if your preferred RESP promoter starts offering SAGES within that time frame.
  3. Transfer an existing RESP to an offering provider and apply for retroactive SAGES. SAGES will be provided for up to three years (up to January 1, 2013) of retroactive contributions after the first contribution at a new provider.

3. Where to Apply

In order to receive SAGES, a child must be named as a beneficiary of an RESP with a bank, credit union, group plan dealer, or other financial services institution. These organizations are called RESP providers. 

An RESP provider that is registered to offer SAGES can guide you through the application process, answer any questions you may have, and submit your application securely and electronically to the government for processing. Many of these providers also offer federal grants such as the Canada Education Savings Grant and the Canada Learning Bond.

List of current RESP providers offering SAGES:

Please note: RESP providers are in the process of being able to offer SAGES.  Changes must be made to the provider's existing system in order to properly administer the grant. The list of current RESP providers is updated as new promoters offering SAGES become available, however below is a list of when some additional promoters anticipate offering SAGES. 

Promoter  Anticipated SAGES Offering
CIBC Trust Corporation  Fall 2017
Franklin Templeton Investment Corp. Early 2017

Need help choosing the right RESP provider for you? Check out CanLearn for more information and questions to ask RESP providers before you make your decision. 

Note to RESP providers: Please contact your head office for all questions including where to get the SAGES application form.

Switching RESP providers and transferring of SAGES
If you decide to switch RESP providers and are receiving SAGES, you can transfer your grant as long as the RESP provider offers SAGES and is being transferred to an eligible RESP. Your new RESP provider will need to complete the proper transfer documentation.

If you transfer to an RESP provider that does not currently offer SAGES, your grant money will be returned to the Government of Saskatchewan. If the RESP provider begins offering SAGES, you cannot reapply for the SAGES repaid/returned to government. You have the option of applying for SAGES for contributions made with the current RESP provider within 3 years, but you cannot recoup the lost SAGES for contributions made with the previous RESP provider.

For example: If you transfer from RESP provider A to RESP provider B and provider B does not offer SAGES, you will be responsible for repaying SAGES. If RESP provider B decides to start offering SAGES, you cannot reapply for SAGES that has been repaid from RESP provider A.

4. How to Contribute

Be a subscriber

A subscriber is a contributor to an RESP on behalf of an eligible beneficiary who is less than 18 years of age and a resident of Saskatchewan.

Anyone can be a subscriber, including grandmothers, grandfathers, aunts, uncles, or friends. SAGES is based on the eligibility and residency of the beneficiary. The subscriber does not need to be a resident of Saskatchewan.

There is no minimum contribution required to receive SAGES. The Government of Saskatchewan matches 10% of subscriber contributions up to a maximum of $250 per child per year.

Unable to contribute?

Starting in 2013, each year that a child is eligible to receive SAGES, the child accumulates $250 in grant room even if they have not contributed to an RESP. Grant room can accumulate until the end of the calendar year in which the beneficiary turns 17, but the payment of SAGES is limited to $500 per beneficiary per year.

This means that subscribers can catch up on unused SAGES by making a contribution of up to a maximum of $5,000 (10% of $5,000 is $500 in SAGES) in RESP contributions each year.


5. Using the SAGES Grant

SAGES is paid out as part of an Educational Assistance Payment (EAP) to an eligible beneficiary who is enrolled in a qualifying educational program at a designated post-secondary institution.

Contact your RESP provider for more information or visit the Educational Assistance Payments section on the Canada Revenue Agency website for additional guidelines and tax implications.

SAGES can be used by the beneficiary toward furthering their education at either:
  • A college, university, technical institute or other educational institution in, or outside, of Canada.
  • An educational institution in Canada certified to provide courses that give a person occupational skills or improve a person’s occupational skills, such as an apprenticeship program.
Other options if your child does not continue their education:
  • Leave the money in the RESP
    • An RESP can be left open for up to 36 years. If your child doesn't continue his or her education after high school, you can keep the plan open in case he or she decides to continue past high school. Check the rules of your plan to find out if there are any more conditions.
  • Have another beneficiary use the money
    • If the beneficiary is part of an individual plan and the eligible beneficiary decides not to attend post-secondary education, a sibling with an individual plan could use the SAGES grant amount.  Otherwise, the SAGES grant amount would have to be returned to the Province.
    • In a family plan with eligible siblings, the eligible siblings may use the SAGES grant amount.  For example, if a family plan has 3 beneficiaries and all beneficiaries are eligible brothers or sisters, each beneficiary may use the total SAGES grant as eligible beneficiaries.
  • Close the RESP
    • You can close the RESP, but all SAGES grant amounts would have to be returned to the Province.

6. For RESP Providers

How to get involved
Your head office should contact the Canada Education Savings Program (CESP) who delivers SAGES on behalf of the Government of Saskatchewan, to initiate the process. Several configurations must be made to your electronic systems to align with the federal/provincial tracking and accountability requirements for RESP grants.
Who to contact on behalf of your client

Please contact your head office if you have questions regarding the process to submit SAGES applications.

We need your feedback to improve Help us improve