To receive the Saskatchewan Advantage Grant for Education Savings (SAGES), the child must be:
- A Saskatchewan resident* when the Registered Education Savings Plan (RESP) contribution is made;
- Named as the beneficiary of an eligible RESP; and
- Registered after January 1, 2013 (children registered before January 1, 2013 are not eligible for SAGES).
Contributors have until December 31 of the year the child turns 17, or until December 31, 2017 to make contributions towards a RESP and be eligible for SAGES, whichever comes sooner.
*The Saskatchewan Advantage Grant for Education Savings (SAGES) Act defines resident of Saskatchewan to mean a person:
- Who is lawfully entitled to be or to remain in Canada; and
- Who makes his or her home, and is ordinarily present, in Saskatchewan.
SAGES is available only to children residing in Saskatchewan. If a parent or guardian resides outside Saskatchewan, the child is still eligible for SAGES if the child is a resident of Saskatchewan and is an eligible beneficiary of an RESP.