Renseignements en français

Google Translate Disclaimer

A number of pages on the Government of Saskatchewan`s web site have been professionally translated in French. These translations are identified by a yellow text box that resembles the link below and can be found in the right hand rail of the page. The home page for French-language content on this site can be found here:

Renseignements en Français

Where an official translation is not available, Google™ Translate can be used. Google™ Translate is a free online language translation service that can translate text and web pages into different languages. Translations are made available to increase access to Government of Saskatchewan content for populations whose first language is not English.

The results of software-based translation do not approach the fluency of a native speaker or possess the skill of a professional translator. The translation should not be considered exact, and may include incorrect or offensive language Government of Saskatchewan does not warrant the accuracy, reliability or timeliness of any information translated by this system. Some files or items cannot be translated, including graphs, photos, and other file formats such as portable document formats (PDFs).

Any person or entities that rely on information obtained from the system does so at his or her own risk. Government of Saskatchewan is not responsible for any damage or issues that may possibly result from using translated website content. If you have any questions about Google™ Translate, please visit: Google™ Translate FAQs.

Apply for SAGES

How to apply for SAGES

To receive SAGES, a child must be named as a beneficiary of an RESP with a bank, credit union, group plan dealer, or other financial services institution. These organizations are called RESP providers. 

There are three steps to applying for the Saskatchewan Advantage Grant for Education Savings (SAGES). You will need to work with your RESP provider for all the steps.

1. Set up a Registered Education Savings Plan (RESP)

The rules set out by Canada Revenue Agency state that anyone can open an RESP for a child:  parents, guardians, grandparents, other relatives, or friends. There are many different types of RESPs you can open. It is important to choose the right type of RESP to meet your needs. Some RESP providers charge service fees or you may need to make a minimum deposit. Visit Canada Student Financial Assistance for more information on RESPs and good questions to ask when choosing an RESP provider.

2. Apply for SAGES

Once you have set up an RESP with an RESP Provider, simply ask the provider to help you fill out an application form for SAGES.

You will need to include the following information in the application:

  • The name, birth date, and gender of child;
  • Length of time the child has been a resident of Saskatchewan; and
  • The name of the child's parent or guardian.

The child’s parent or legal guardian will need to sign the application. It will be considered incomplete if there is no signature. 

3. Submit the applications

Your RESP provider will submit the application form electronically to the government for processing using a protected electronic system. Once the application has been processed, the RESP provider will advise if the application has been accepted or rejected.

Please note: Application forms mailed to the Government of Saskatchewan cannot be processed and will be returned.  All applications must be submitted directly through an eligible RESP provider using the protected electronic system.

Visit the Government of Canada Registered Education Savings Plan (RESP) provider page for more information about RESPs and questions to ask RESP providers. 

How to receive SAGES 

Once your application has been processed, the Government of Saskatchewan will provide a grant of 10% on the contributions made into the RESP, up to $250 per child per year. The grant will be deposited directly into the child’s RESP 6-8 weeks after an eligible application is received.

Subscribers have up to three years to apply for a SAGES payment on an RESP contribution made after January 1, 2013.

Other options to receive SAGES

If your preferred RESP provider is not offering SAGES, you have three options:

  1. You can open another RESP at an authorized RESP provider and designate it to receive SAGES. Children may be named as beneficiaries in more than one RESP. 
  2. You can wait to see if your preferred RESP promoter starts offering SAGES.  There is a three-year window within which an application for SAGES must be made. 
  3. You can transfer an existing RESP to an offering provider and apply for SAGES retroactively. SAGES will be provided for up to three years (up to January 1, 2013) of retroactive contributions after the first contribution at a new provider.

Switching RESP providers and transferring of SAGES

New RESP provider offers SAGES - If you decide to switch RESP providers and are receiving SAGES, you can transfer your grant as long as the new RESP provider offers SAGES and the funds are being transferred to an eligible RESP. Your new RESP provider will need to complete the proper transfer documentation.

New RESP provider does not offers SAGES - If you transfer to an RESP provider that does not currently offer SAGES, your grant money will be returned to the Government of Saskatchewan. If the RESP provider begins offering SAGES, you cannot reapply for the SAGES repaid to government. 

You can apply for SAGES for contributions made with the new RESP provider within three years, but you cannot get back lost SAGES for contributions made with the previous RESP provider.

Where to apply for SAGES

An RESP provider that is registered to offer SAGES can guide you through the application process, answer any questions you may have, and submit your application to the government for processing. Many of these providers also offer federal grants such as the Canada Education Savings Grant and the Canada Learning Bond.

List of current RESP providers offering SAGES:

Please note: Some RESP providers are in the process of being able to offer SAGES. Changes must be made to the provider's system to properly administer the grant. The list of current RESP providers is updated as new promoters offering SAGES become available.

Below is a list of additional promoters who anticipate they will begin offering SAGES.

Promoter  Anticipated SAGES Offering
Franklin Templeton Investment Corp.  Early 2017

We need your feedback to improve Help us improve