Serving citizens anytime, anywhere, and on any device
The Government of Saskatchewan is committed to providing quality user experiences for citizens who wish to access services and information using mobile devices. Since the launch of Saskatchewan.ca in December 2013, analytics tell us that our citizens are using their mobile devices more often to look for information and services that government provides. This means we must be able to serve our citizens anytime, anywhere, and on any device.
With Google announcing that it will give priority to mobile-friendly sites in its search ranking, this suggests that government could miss out on opportunities to meet the needs of citizens, if we can’t provide them with mobile-friendly access to our services.
What is a mobile website?
A mobile-friendly website or application is one that has been optimized so that each user, no matter what device they’re using, gets the best experience as possible.
Some common characteristics may include:
Simple navigation with appropriate font sizes
- Designed elements, such as buttons that have target sizes to make them easily selectable, images are scaled down, important information is placed where it is most visible, etc.
- Content that’s built to fit the screen
- Takes advantage of in-phone functionality
- Links to phone numbers to support simplified dialling
- Services utilize the phone’s GPS location capabilities
- Presentation templates use common touch-screen gestures such as swiping for pagination on a multi-photo slideshow
The mobile space has exploded with innovation within the past few years, especially with technology, like wearables, for example. Imagine receiving an alert instantly with information available at your finger tips. The time is now; government has the opportunity to take advantage of what the mobile space has to offer.
We’ve all heard it before, mobile usage is higher then it’s ever been. The implications are clear, if we’re unable to reach our audience through mobile search or display, we miss out on the opportunity to serve our citizens.
Ali Nicholls, Digital Channel Manager, Digital Strategy & Operations