Below you fill find a list of sample questions you may want to consider asking of a potential candidates references. You will want to ensure the questions you are asking of the individual giving the reference align to the questions and knowledge areas you conducted with the candidate during the interview.
- What is your opinion of (candidate's) skills in terms of their ability to deliver _______ within their current position? (Repeat this question to cover all the relevant core skills required for the job)
- What is your opinion of what motivated (candidate) within their current position?
- What is your opinion of (candidate) as a team player within the organization?
- What would you say was (candidate's) greatest strength?
- What would you say was (candidate's) biggest weakness?
- How would you say (candidate) took direction?
- What management problems, if any, did (candidate) cause you? (If necessary, follow up with - how did you resolve these issues)
- What parts of the job did (candidate) have the most problems with?
- What was (candidate's) attitude toward developing needed new skills?
- How adept was (candidate) at developing new skills?
- How effectively did (candidate) achieve your organization's goals?
- How effective was (candidate) at communicating with the public? With co-workers? With other employees?
- How well did (candidate) deal with the public or handle sensitive issues with the public/media?
- What advice would you give me, as a potential employer of (candidate)?
Remember, when conducting a reference check, you are seeking evidence to confirm your assessment of potential candidates' abilities.
Sample Letter of Offer
In addition to the sample letter of offer below, you will want to consider any additions that may be part of employment requirements in your municipality, such as enrolment in a specific health/dental plan, life insurance enrolment, pension plan, union dues, etc. These conditions of employment may differ significantly from municipality to municipality and it is important to notify the candidate during the interview process so there are no unexpected conditions as part of the employment offer.
PRIVATE AND CONFIDENTIAL
Re: Administrator Position
I am pleased to confirm that you have been selected for the position of Administrator for the Municipality of _________. The position is offered on the following terms and conditions:
Your effective start date will be ___________, 20____. Your starting salary as the Administrator will be $xx,xxx per annum.
You will be on probation for your first twelve months (12) of employment with the Municipality of _______. The Council will meet with you and conduct a performance review after you have completed six (6) months of employment, once again after twelve (12) months, after which time, the probationary period will expire or be extended. The Council will meet with you annually thereafter.
Enclosed is a copy of the personnel policy and information about the municipal benefits plan. Please review each and call <name and contact information> if you have any questions in this regard.
To confirm acceptance of this offer, please sign and return a copy of this letter to the municipality within x working days.
I look forward to meeting with you on _____, 20XX at (time) at the municipal office in <name of village/town> to introduce you to the other staff members and to help familiarize you with your new workplace.
If you have any questions in the meantime, please call me.
Congratulations on your appointment. We are very pleased to have you join our team. Welcome aboard!
I accept the above offer of employment in accordance with the conditions specified above.
Signature _________________________ Date ________________________