As part of the reporting requirements under the renewed federal Gas Tax Fund (GTF), the Government of Saskatchewan provides outcomes reports to the federal government that report on:
- the beneficial impacts on communities of completed projects funded by the program,
- the enhanced impact of GTF as a predictable source of funding, and
- the progress made on improving local government planning and asset management.
Municipalities assist the province in preparing these reports by providing information to the Ministry, as required in their Municipal Gas Tax Fund Agreement. This includes submission of outcome reports on completed projects.
When a municipality reports a project as complete on its Municipal Annual Expenditure Report, the Ministry will request completion of an "outcomes report form". This information is needed to obtain actual outputs (what was produced) and outcomes (results achieved) of the completed project, which may vary from the original plans.
The Ministry may also request municipalities to submit asset management reports, capital plans and incrementality reports to assist with provincial reporting.
The first report under the renewed GTF agreement was provided to Infrastructure Canada in March 2018. Outcomes Report 2018 includes the beneficial impact on communities for projects reported as completed between April 1, 2014 and December 31, 2016, and identifies ways in which the projects support the national objectives of:
- productivity and economic growth,
- a clean environment, and
- strong cities and communities.
The report also includes:
- an analysis of municipal and provincial spending from 2010 to 2014 to show incrementality, and
- information on GTF allocation usage and other municipal indicators to reflect the enhanced impact of GTF as a predictable source of funding.
To show progress made on improving local government planning and asset management, the report provides a summary of results from the 2016 baseline asset management survey with comparatives to information from the 2017 check-in survey.
Under the original GTF, the Government of Saskatchewan provided three outcomes reports to the federal government.