As part of the reporting requirements under the renewed federal Gas Tax Fund (GTF), the Government of Saskatchewan will provide outcomes reports to the federal government that report on:
- the beneficial impacts on communities of completed projects funded by the program,
- the enhanced impact of GTF as a predictable source of funding, and
- the progress made on improving local government planning and asset management.
The first report is due March 31, 2018, and will report on projects completed between April 1, 2014 and December 31, 2016. The report will show progress towards meeting the national objectives of productivity and economic growth, a clean environment, and strong cities and communities.
Under their Municipal Gas Tax Fund Agreement, municipalities are required to provide outcomes information to the Ministry to assist the province in submitting these outcomes reports to the federal government.
Each calendar year, municipalities with active projects are required to submit a Municipal Annual Expenditure Report which provides information on the completion status of their projects.
If a municipality reports a project as complete, the Ministry requests completion of an "outcomes report form". In order to fulfil the outcomes reporting requirement, the municipality must complete and submit the form for each completed project funded through the GTF.
Generally the project information provided by municipalities in their Infrastructure Investment Plans (IIPs) reflects only estimates and plans. The outcomes report form is needed to obtain actual results which may vary from the original plans of the municipality.
Under the original GTF, the Government of Saskatchewan completed three outcomes reports:
- one in 2009 for projects completed between April 1, 2005 and December 31, 2008;
- one in 2015 for projects completed between January 1, 2009 and December 31, 2012; and
- one in 2016 for projects completed between January 1, 2013 and March 31, 2014.
The reports identify the ways in which completed projects contributed to cleaner air, cleaner water and reduced greenhouse gases, and the capacity building outcome. The last report finalized the outcomes reporting under the original agreement.