The Ministry of Education selects sites based on the following criteria:
- The entire staff must be open and committed to participating in an intensive professional learning experience.
- Program leadership is committed to supporting this learning experience.
- The site must be a licensed child care centre.
- The staff is familiar with the Play and Exploration Guide and most have attended or registered for Phase 1.
- The facility must follow child care regulations.
- The program has identified some goals or areas of development that they want to work on.
Additional training will strengthen the application.
A limited number of sites will be awarded an Early Years Mentorship Initiative experience each year. Selections may depend on mentor availability, and sites that are not chosen are invited to re-apply in the next year.