It is important that the needs of all students are met, including those who are new to Saskatchewan and are learning English as an Additional Language (EAL).
A variety of EAL support documents are available to school divisions, including:
information-sharing and support for newcomers and their families.
- procedures, guidelines, and protocols to support learning;
- capacity-building for educators, administrators, and school divisions;
- effective practices in teaching, learning, and assessment;
EAL Assessment Supports
The EAL Assessment Toolkit has been provided to school divisions to assist in determining the readiness skills of newcomer learners.
The toolkit was prepared through a ministry project involving five partner school divisions:
- Regina Public Schools;
- Regina Catholic Schools;
- Conseil des écoles fransaskoises;
- Saskatoon Public Schools; and
- Greater Saskatoon Catholic Schools.
EAL Assessment Fund
The Ministry of Education supports school divisions with the initial and ongoing assessment of newcomers through the EAL Assessment Fund. School divisions are invited to apply for the following funding:
- EAL Initial Assessment Fund: This is per pupil funding based on the number of newcomer students assessed during the 2016-17 school year.
- EAL Assessment Project Fund: This is for innovative EAL assessment projects that focus on initial and ongoing assessment processes, language levels, and related needs.
The deadline to submit Expressions of Interest forms for the 2017-18 EAL Assessment Fund is June 28, 2017.