Saskatchewan’s oil and gas industry is required to report volumetric, valuation, royalty/tax payer, and some infrastructure data to the government.
This information is used to:
- Determine royalties and taxes
- Manage the province’s oil and gas reservoirs; and
- Monitor and enforce regulatory compliance
Business Associates (BA) must complete this reporting in Petrinex
. A BA is an individual or company that conducts oil and gas activities with the Government of Saskatchewan through the Integrated Resource Information System (IRIS)
What to report through Petrinex
- Volumetric data: Reporting of volumetric data is required for a well or facility, and must identify the activity, product and volume. It can be submitted either manually online or as a batch upload to Petrinex.
- Valuation: Valuation is used for the purposes of calculating Crown Royalty and Freehold Production Tax owing on crude oil produced from Saskatchewan wells or units.
- Infrastructure: Infrastructure information for individual wells and facilities is required to ensure volumetric and valuation information can be properly allocated and reported.
- Royalty/Tax Payer (RTP) information: The RTP Operator is required to provide the following information for each well event, unit, or injection facility:
- BA code identifier of each RTP
- BA code identifier of each Working Interest Owner (WIO) that isn’t an RTP
- The mineral ownership type and the portion the BA is responsible for as either an RTP or non-royalty/tax payer WIO
RTP information is only required for those injection facilities that recover crude oil (RCO).
The information is submitted monthly before deadlines outlined in Petrinex’s reporting calendar.
The Government of Saskatchewan's oil and gas royalty/tax-related invoices are delivered electronically through Petrinex and IRIS. To learn more see:
Directive R01: Volumetric, Valuation, and Infrastructure Reporting in Petrinex
Directive R01 provides BAs with information to assist them with their reporting obligations, including:
- Submission of Data to Petrinex: Provides general information for submitting data in Petrinex, specifically security, methods of submission, the work-in-progress feature, submission of amendments or corrections, notifications, and the Petrinex inbox.
- Business Associate (BA) Codes: Provides detailed information about BA codes, such as BA identifiers (BA ID), BA User Security Administrators (BA USA), changes to BA accounts as well what happens to BA codes when a company ceases operations or is amalgamated.
- Well Information and Status Changes: Provides information on the Unique Well Identifier (UWI), well event statuses, changes to well event statuses, and other licensee data requirements.
- Facility Information: Provides details on how to obtain a Facility ID and make change requests as well as information on operational status, operator changes, and well-to-facility links.
- Volumetric Submissions: Provides information on editing volumetric submissions, such as: pending transactions, proration factors, out-of-province transactions, cross-border volumetric auto-population with Alberta, facility activity view, well activity, balance volumetric submission, summary view, and reporting from underground storage or Enhanced Oil Recovery facilities.
- Waste Plant Reporting: Provides information on waste plant submissions, such as: waste plant inventory, receipts, dispositions and auto-population, waste plant balancing and non-compliance reports, query waste plant submission, oilfield and non-oilfield waste receipts and dispositions, gas reporting at a waste plant, waste location ID, opening and closing inventories and adjustments, oilfield waste cavern report requirements, and facility status.
- Oil Valuation: Provides information on oil valuation security, reporting deadlines, the oil valuation process, pipeline splits, and oil valuation reporting.
- Gas Valuation: Provides information on gas valuation security, reporting deadlines, and gas plant valuation submission.
- Royalty/Tax Payer (RTP): Provides information on RTP security, method of submission, query RTP information, data validation, creating a new RTP record, edit an existing RTP record, RTP operator change, termination of an RTP record, RTP filing deadlines, RTP reports, and notifications.
- Compliance: Provides information on non-compliance and penalties. Also see, this page for details on how to apply for a waiver of Petrinex non-compliance penalties.
Directive R02: Enhanced Valuation Audit Program (EVAP)
EVAP is a Ministry of the Economy program to ensure Royalty/Tax Payer (RTP) compliance to regulatory requirements for reporting crude oil prices used to determine Saskatchewan’s Crown Royalty and Freehold Production Tax (royalty/tax).
Through the program, RTPs are responsible for:
- Annually declaring they’re in compliance with the regulatory requirements for determining and reporting wellhead oil prices.
- Reporting on:
- The organization’s controls and procedures that ensure regulatory compliance with wellhead oil price determination and reporting.
- The extent the controls are evaluated.
- The adequacy and effectiveness of the controls.
- Remediation plans that describe enhancements made to improve controls or evaluation processes.
- Submitting examples of the calculations used to determine the wellhead price or oil.
Government is responsible for:
- Administering EVAP and its Directive.
- Providing regular reports on the results of monitoring and analysis activities to each RTP.
- Escalate non-compliance concerns and conduct full wellhead oil price audits when circumstances warrant.