Your future in agriculture is waiting for you. The possibilities are endless, so dream big and thinkAG!
Why should I apply?
Saskatchewan’s agriculture and agri-food industry is full of opportunities—from production, research and processing to manufacturing, finance and everything in between. In fact, the industry accounts for over 50,000 jobs across the province and it continues to grow.
The Saskatchewan Ministry of Agriculture offers the Agriculture Student Scholarship with one winning scholarship valued at $4,000 and three runner-up scholarships valued at $2,000 each to students willing to speak up and tell the exciting story of agriculture.
Am I eligible?
Grade 12 students and recent high school graduates (within the past two years) in Saskatchewan who are planning to take agriculture-related post-secondary education beginning in the fall of 2016 are eligible to apply. We are looking for young people who thinkAG and plan to pursue an exciting career in the industry. Note: Ministry of Agriculture and Saskatchewan Crop Insurance Corporation employees and their immediate family members are not eligible.
How do I apply?
To apply, candidates must complete the Application Form and:
- Produce a three-minute creative video or write a well-researched fact-based 1,000-word essay that highlights agriculture’s stewardship story, as per the themes below. Applicants who provide a written submission are encouraged to include photos to support their submission;
- Provide proof of acceptance to a post-secondary institution; and,
- Provide a letter of recommendation from a teacher, agriculture industry or community leader.
The application deadline is March 1, 2016 and applicants have until April 1, 2016 to submit proof of enrollment. Applications can be submitted electronically to firstname.lastname@example.org. Videos can either be submitted through a YouTube link or a copy of the digital file.
What should my application be about?
During Agriculture Month 2015 we celebrated Stewards in Sustainability, honouring farmers’, ranchers’ and agribusinesses’ efforts to maintain and improve the environment. Your application should be based on the same theme through focus on one of the following topics:
- How is technology affecting agriculture’s relationship with the environment? What practices can we improve to ensure we meet the needs of the growing world?
- Agriculture provides endless opportunities for Saskatchewan youth. What role can young people play in the sustainability of the industry?
- How are you a steward at your farm, ranch or agribusiness? What is your environmental success story?
Where can I look for some inspiration?
Not sure what your application should be about? Check out these links for some great ideas!
What is the evaluation process?
Videos and written submissions will be judged by a review committee based on alignment with the themes provided, creativity and originality, professionalism and compliance with eligibility requirements.
The Ministry of Agriculture reserves the right to publish or promote all submissions as deemed appropriate. All personal information collected will not be used for any other purposes and will remain confidential.
What if I’m selected as a scholarship recipient?
The Ministry will contact you by the end of April to notify you if you were selected as a scholarship recipient. The funds will be mailed to you upon receipt of your Proof of Enrollment in agriculture-related studies. This will be available through your post-secondary institute once you register for classes.
For more information:
Taylor Peppler, Agriculture Awareness Intern