Determining Moisture Content Using a Microwave Oven
- Cut a representative cross-section of forage from the windrow.
- Cut into 0.6 cm (1/4 in.) pieces.
- Weigh 100 grams of material and place on a paper plate or bag.
- Spread sample out evenly and place in microwave over on high heat for three to four minutes.
- Weigh sample and record weight.
- Stir sample and place in microwave oven on high heat for one minute. Reweigh and record weight.
- Repeat step six until weight loss is less than one gram. This is the dry weight.
Calculation: wet wt. grams - dry wt. grams /100 = percent moisture
Determining Moisture Content of Forage by Hand Method
|Forage squeezed in hand
|Water easily squeezed out and material holds shape
|Water can just be squeezed out and material holds shape
|Little or no water can be squeezed out but material holds shape
|No water can be squeezed out and material falls apart slowly
|No water can be squeezed out and material falls apart rapidly
||60 or less